1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lots of negative stuff about Kimber is posted in this forum, I figured I'd post something positive for once.

My Custom II just surpassed the 1000-round mark last Saturday. To date I've only had 2 malfunctions on it, one was a failure to feed (non-shooter friend limpwristing) and another failure to feed from another friend who tried to use a Springfield mag on it. Aside from those FTFs, the gun has been working flawlessly.

No known defects. Some holster marks are starting to appear on the front of the slide and I've got a scratch on the frame from when I got careless putting the slide-release back in. But those are purely aesthetic.

Accuracy is excellent. I have no idea how well it shoots, but I know it shoots a lot better than me. Standing unsupported on slow fire I can reliably hit a head-sized target at 50-feet. I've not been able to shoot from a rest yet.

I used it in an Action Pistol Match on Saturday night for the first time and I missed the hit zone a few times but I always manage to hit the target even when I'm really rushing. There was one stage where I nailed five consecutive headshots right in the hit zone (4"x2" rectangle) from 10 yards. The Custom II worked flawlessly, my "tactical" reloads are a whole another story though.

------------------
~ ScorpioVI
http://tacticalpursuits.com

·
Registered
207 Posts
Glad to hear another good report. You just don't hear em anymore. It's always the ones about bad stuff. I have a long way to go for my stainless II to reach 1000, but I will let everyone know how that fairs. I don't foresee any problems.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'll chime in with a positive testimonial. I have a Clackamas, OR Classic Custom that has *many* thousands of rounds through it. I don't know the exact count, but I threw out about fifty 500 round bullet boxes when I moved.... Who knows how many I tossed instead of stuffing them under the bench. Almost all of those rounds were light reloads with a heavy taper crimp (200gr LSWC over 5.6 grains of Universal Clays)...

It seems to be just as accurate today as it was the day I got it. It is even more reliable than it was when new... I don't recall a single malfunction in at least the last year, maybe longer....

The only problems with it were when I first got it. The bolt face was rough and would drag on cartridges causing jams. I polished it, installed a heavier recoil spring and have had no problems since. The other problem was the slide lock wouldn't lock the slide back with many of my mags. One call to Kimber (back in 1997) and they shipped me a new slide lock with no hassle....

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Griz,

Good to see you here bro, welcome to the forums.

p.s. ICQ me so I can add your number. I just built a new PC and lost everything.

------------------
~ ScorpioVI
http://tacticalpursuits.com

·
Registered
352 Posts
I just passed the 1700 mark with my Custom CDP. Never had a FTF or any other problem. I love my Kimber and will soon add an Ultra CDP to the collection.

------------------
"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you."-- Benjamin Franklin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts