1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, my Custom II has 275 rounds through it and I've noticed that last time at the range out of 100 rounds about 7 of them failed to seat properly. The slide Some rounds were just pushed out of the magazine and failed to enter the chamber and some were in the chamber, just about 1/4" from being ALL the way in. From what I understand this is due to Kimber stamping the ".45 ACP" on all their barrels? I really, really don't want to send this gun back to Kimber to have it worked on and I was wondering if getting the chamber and ramp polished would help at all (taking it to the local gunsmith would be cheaper than shipping it to Kimber probably) I've shot several types of ammo with about the same results, so I doubt this is the issue. Maybe she just needs to be shot more?

·
Registered
972 Posts
"... this is due to Kimber stamping the ".45 ACP" on all their barrels?"

You're kidding, right????

This is more likely due to Kimber designing and marketing their Series II safety system. It is one of the common complaints relating to Series II guns and the reason some of us will only own/buy Kimbers from the first series.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know plenty of people with series II Kimbers that worked 100% flawlessly from the box, I know my gun isn't inherently flawed, it just needs some work. So, anyone have a solution?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Up to the first 500 rounds, it MAY be break in - I'd wait till then to be concerned.

That said, I found that cleaning and lubing the MAGAZINES was the one thing that determined any feed issues with both my Pro Carry ("Series I") AND my TLE (Series II)

Get a mag brush and run some CLP in there, make sure the followers are clean - and I take the mags apart every 100 or so rounds per mag and clean and lightly (Tetra CLP & wipedown) lube the springs and bodies.

I also run a Bore Snake through the pistols a few times after every match or range session, including at least one pass up through the mag well and down the barrel, to give the ramp a nice polish. :D :cool:

One recent discovery - I ran out of Tetra CLP so got a can of BreakFree CLP (which I'd used extensively before) and had FTFs and jams up the wazoo the next match. Went back to the Tetra and all is well.

Others swear by other CLPs but I haven't tried them. Do a search on cleaners/lubes/solvents and you'll find a lot of reports.

And, as always, YMMV. BreakFree always worked great on my Commanders but that was over a decade ago and the formulation may have changed or something.

·
Registered
890 Posts
My Custom II had one failure to feed in the first 50 rounds then was flawless for 4,000 of lead SWC handloads.

I suggest make sure the gun is clean and lubed properly - FP 10 or Breakfree. Make sure the chamber is clean. Clean the rails with a nylon brush (old toothbrush)

Stick with factory loads (Winchester White Box at Walmart) or good handloads.

Try a Wilson magazine or McCormick Power Mag

I'm pretty sure the 45 acp stamped on the barrel is not the problem

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
I'd suggest you have someone who knows something about 1911's check the extractor tension.........(make sure it isn't the same person who told you that the stamp on the side of the barrel can cause FTF's.)

If you want to try it yourself, read this article and do what it says:

http://www.m1911.org/technic2.htm

·
Registered
301 Posts
Mag?

SKS_Lover,

This fall I had similar failures with my Custom TLE II. It seemed kind of random. I went through new extractors, polishing, recoil springs, and tuning for several weeks. I would replace or change something, shoot 4-5 mags through the gun and everything seemed fine. Then I would shoot a match, and there would be 2-3 FTF's.

The next thing I thought might cause the problem was the ammo. I shoot SWC reloads. I clocked the loads to confirm that I had enough velocity. Then reduced the crimp and tried again. At first seemed OK, then it happened again in a match, very infrequent, but seemed random.

I thought about it an the only thing different when I shoot a match is that I load and use ALL of my mags. Finally, I bought 200 rounds of factory ball ammo, went to the range and shot the factory ammo from each mag. Finally, I found that it was one of my Wilson mags. It was the only one to fail, and it would reproduce the same failure only with this particular mag. Tried the same test with my reloads - same results. I sent it to Wilson and they replaced it. Now, the problem is gone.

During this episode, I had assumed that when one or two of the Wilson mags worked, then all of them would be OK. I don't know how many times I have to re-learn the same lesson; Don't take anything for granted, test everything. Try to eliminate things one at a time, and make certain you are not overlooking a simple solution, like me!

Good Luck

·
Registered
302 Posts
Good Job!!!

I'm glad u were able to fix your problem. espicailly doing a quick fix like a magazine. i will definitly keep an eye on my mags from now on. :cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts