1911Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Wilson Combat EDC X9L, Kimber Custom II gfo
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased the Kimber Custom II gfo (green front optic) from my local shop, which is their entry level offering. The trigger has a little mush, almost like it is rubbing right before the break. This makes it feel not so crisp to me. It sticks a little on reset and the reset seems quite long (about 1/8")
For all you kimber owners, does this sound accurate for a new pistol?

Should I take apart and polish before shooting or should I fire a few hundred rounds first and see how it feels after that?

The only thing I have to compare it to is my Wilson Combat EDC X9l, which has the smoothest trigger I have ever personally touched. I know this is not a fair comparison, so please let me know your thoughts!
Air gun Trigger Grey Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Registered
544 Posts
Just purchased the Kimber Custom II gfo (green front optic) from my local shop, which is their entry level offering. The trigger has a little mush, almost like it is rubbing right before the break. This makes it feel not so crisp to me. It sticks a little on reset and the reset seems quite long (about 1/8")
For all you kimber owners, does this sound accurate for a new pistol?

Should I take apart and polish before shooting or should I fire a few hundred rounds first and see how it feels after that?

The only thing I have to compare it to is my Wilson Combat EDC X9l, which has the smoothest trigger I have ever personally touched. I know this is not a fair comparison, so please let me know your thoughts! View attachment 620301
I never owned a Kimber. Unless there’s a burr or trash in the trigger channel I would think it’s elsewhere in your fire control. If it was my pistol I would try a few rounds to see how it pans out.

·
Super Moderator
15,803 Posts
Often times regular production guns have a little grit or slight burrs on them that usually get smooth after several hundred rounds; I've had 8 Kimbers that 7 of them "polished out" after several hundred rounds and were good triggers after that. The one that was smooth and crisp from the beginning was the Super Carry Pro that my sister now has. If it doesn't smooth out and become crisp within that time, it might need some minor work. If the reset is not up to par, have a good gunsmith take a look at it, it might need some adjustment in the overtravel screw.

Reactions: TXGR

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
OP, if you are knowledgeable about where to check and polish, go for it. In my opinion, why waste ammo hoping for a better outcome when you know what to do to get that nice trigger pull now. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
I say give her a good deep cleaning and a proper wet lube. Put some rounds through it for say ~5 range sessions.
Then, either dress/refine/polish existing parts or replace/fit all the fire control parts with EGW, Harrison, etc.

Will likely get better, but not X9 out of the box level. Kimbers are an excellent value and typically run well, but lack the refinement of higher end options. To be expected.

Enjoy the new 1911!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
The only thing I can add to the already excellent suggestions is that although Kimber does not have a full custom shop but they do offer a few services. a trigger job being one. I suggest this because if you for whatever reason needed to return the gun for warranty work your work on the trigger could void the warranty. They will also checker the front strap for you.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
My favorite is to: clean, function check, dry fire. If it does not show significant improvement by 500 times of the dry-fire, call Kimber and > > > ASK < < < them what they suggest. Far too many people call Kimber and TELL them what needs done (less than optimal approach). The response is seldom good.

I had one that spewed empties all over the place. I called Kimber and ASKED "could it have something to do with . . . " and the guy I was talking with was suddenly VERY helpful and friendly.

My bet is that a few hundred cycles/dry-fire will show perceptible improvement. Only cost is a little time and effort.

P.S. The problem I mentioned above needed a new spring. ;)

Reactions: wproct

·
Registered
Wilson Combat EDC X9L, Kimber Custom II gfo
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I cleaned off factory lube, re-lubed with wilson combat ultra lube, and then dry fired it a couple hundred times. Seems to have loosened a bit. I plan on taking it tonthe range this Saturday. The brake seems pretty clean, but the reset seems a bit longer than I would like. I will see how it feels after about 250 round are put through it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts