1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

So, I've been dreaming about a 1911 ever since I held a kimber for the first time about two years ago. I'm a pretty avid shooter of pretty much all disciplines (rifle, handguns, shotguns) I like it all. I already own a springfield xd-45 and love it. It's just coming time to finally take the plunge and buy my first 1911. I am 25 and enjoy tinkering/minor gun smithing. Before I ask the major question, I do ask that responses be specific to the question, and preferably with some experience. For example I'm kind of a springfield fanboy as far as their polymer pistols go, I held a range officer and decided to move on. In short, I'm looking for more educated opinion/fact over fanboy-ism. So, here is my question.

I'm kind of between two guns now. Either the Kimber Custom ii or the Dan Wesson Heritage. Now before you go telling me that they are not even in the same class the Wesson is a better gun, I have already come to that conclusion based off of price etc. My question is for someone who take excellent care of his equipment but also uses it, which would you consider the most practical. I have heard things about Kimber finishes being somewhat feeble, as well as extractors and rust, etc. Am I really getting 50% more gun for the extra price? I'm not really too afraid of MIM parts. This guns primary purpose is not for hd nor carry, that's why I have the xd. The biggest concern would be that I know I would like the Wesson, but....would I be afraid to take it out and actually shoot it a ton? I shoot on average 50 rounds a week which is just over 2,500 rounds a year. Over the next year that is 25,000 rounds. Once again I like the idea of something that I can pass down to my son or grandson eventually. I know my thoughts are kind of scrambled, But I hope you guys can hopefully relate, and chime in with your opinions.

Another consideration that I have is that I will be buying this in February and buying the Wesson will darn near blow the whole spending/ammo account for the year. Should I buy once, cry once and just fondle the thing for a year (until I can afford ammo), or should I buy the kimber and call it good? I just don't want to buy the kimber and be disappointed. Thanks again!!!

P.s. This will also get posted in the Wesson area.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya, it was meant to say in ten years. My bad!! :) I would like to do what's best long term. What's the entry level pricing on a Baer? What would I get in a Baer that I wouldn't get in a wesson? I'm asking this in humbleness/seriousness. I'm still new/young so, I appreciate the help!

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
The DW's while good are quite expensive for me.

It will all depend on your budget OP. As my gun budget is limited, I got the Kimber Custom II (I have 2). With the CII, you won't lose sleep shooting them. They are reliable enough and widely available at a more down to earth price.

If I have the money to splurge on a DWs, I would save a little bit more and then I would be in a brand new Les Baer territory. That or a used Wilson. The DWs' are expensive in my neck of the woods and very hard to find.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
I agree with Merkey get a Baer instead if you are spending that much. If you want a reliable less expensive go with the Kimber.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I have a Heritage that I bought used.
I have a Kimber Ultra Raptor II I (yes, not a Custom II but it's what I got) bought new.
They are both well made guns that have great perfect fit and perfect function.
I doubt you'd go wrong with either, so I'd say buy what you can when you can afford it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How likely am I to have the kimber problems that you read about? I want long term longevity on the finish as well.

I think a baer would be nice, but the dw literally is at the tip top of my budget for now.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have both a Kimber and a Dan Wesson Heritage. You really cant go wrong with either of them. Personally I like the Dan Wesson better. The way I see it, if you spend as much as you can afford, I doubt you will wish you would of bought the less expensive gun, but if you buy the lesser expensive of two guns, you always wish you would of bought the higher one. Remember thats just my view/experience.

Jeffrey

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@Duke, Those are my thoughts too. I'm currently going through that with another gun that I own. I'm leaning further and further towards the heritage.

On another note any body have any recommendations such as rogers precision that could do some texture work down the road possibly?

·
Registered
216 Posts
@Duke, Those are my thoughts too. I'm currently going through that with another gun that I own. I'm leaning further and further towards the heritage.

On another note any body have any recommendations such as rogers precision that could do some texture work down the road possibly?
I just dropped off a gun at Alchemy http://1911doctor.com/

They were the nicest guys I have ever met! Check out their work, their history.

And they are both in this video from a few years ago when they worked for Les Baer
http://www.youtube.com/embed/Dpdy8QQ-Y-Q?feature=oembed

·
Premium Member
4,577 Posts
DW vs Kimber eh? 'bout the same comparison as Mercedes C or E class vs Toyota Corolla or Camry or Rib eye vs flank steak.

Nothing wrong with Kimbers, great PRODUCTION guns. Anything after the TLE is purely aesthetics - bells and whistles if you ask me. Yes, the slides say "custom shop", but they're still production guns.

I love how the Kimber hater's all jump on their soap box and scream MIMBER"S, "Kimber is full of MIM". Guess what, there's numerous gun companies that use MIM parts. Bottom line, if a parts going to fail, it's going to fail regardless if it's MIM, cast or forged.

Dan Wesson's are on another playing field. Semi-custom guns if you will. Smaller #'s built, higher end parts (Ed Brown) and more hand fitting.

Bottom line and this is only my opinion, both are American Made and you won't go wrong with either.

Buy which ever you can afford, that has what you're looking for in a pistol and be happy. Good luck OP.

I own both, so I can speak from experience. Won't sell either one.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
The Custom 2 finish is thin in my opinion. You want long term, consider stainless or Duty Treatment. If you're really considering a Kimber, I would urge you to go with a Stainless 2 instead of the Custom 2.

I hate that Kimber uses raw steel barrels. They will rust if not kept oiled. Leaving an exposed part like the barrel in raw steel is not something I would think "the maker of the finest 1911" would do. You also get a plastic MSH, a Schwartz safety, and lots of MIM parts. You get tool steel internals, no MIM, no plastic, and no firing pin safety system with the DW.

I currently own 2 Kimbers and several DWs. The Kimbers are great guns, they just have a few disadvantages when compared to DWs. But on the flip side, they were a lot less money too. I think Kimber makes a fantastic gun at $1000 and less. Anything more than $1000, and there are better made guns. Including the DW.

·
Premium Member
15,298 Posts
P.s. This will also get posted in the Wesson area.
And 1 will get deleted for cross posting. :D

For one, which has been pointed out in between all the other stuff that doesn't get to your question, you're comparing 2 different guns. Functionally they should be no different just as a Corolla and a Lexus LX would functionally be the same.

Features are pretty different as the price shows which you mentioned.

I doubt you'll ever get an unbiased opinion simply because, especially in a forum like this with fans of specific makers and the usual, everyone has a different perception on need, want, value etc.

If I were you, I'd look at the features of the guns and decide what will fit the need, which in your case is unique. A shooter that may also be an heirloom. Based on the later, I personally would want it to be made in the US, and of materials that I'm comfortable will last generations. Bling comes next. :)

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Think it was a typo......

Save a couple hundred more and get a Baer and don't look back!

DWs are much better than Baers now days. I know because I read it on the errornet. Not only that but some famous gunsmith put 400 rounds through each of them. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Definitely the Dan Wesson and you're done.
Top weapons and a super customer service, still a relatively small company.
If you do, welcome to the family.
By the way did you ask the same question in the DW forum?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts