1911Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
184 Posts
Everyone in that case would be mistaken. I keep mine cleaned and lubricated and use good magazines. My TLE II is one of the few guns I own that was on the money from the very first shot. Very accurate. Flawless so far. I was so impressed I bought another Kimber recently. There may or may not have been a time where they have had issues. I have not personally experienced that.

· Registered
229 Posts
I have a Super Carry Custom that I knew the previous owner. I wish he would have left it stock.
All the Wilson Combat internals are nice. However I still had to put a 20lb Wolff Recoil Spring and buy Wilson Combat 47Ds for this firearm to work trouble free. The previous owner was what I would call a “Gun Butcher” that fixes something that wasn’t broke to begin with.The best advice I give anyone is this.”Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 300-500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve.”

Reactions: markmarrufo

· Registered
3,787 Posts
I was skeptical about buying this pistol, everyone says they jam too much. I cleaned it and lubed it before shooting. The first 150 rounds fired flawlessly. (Wilson Combat mags).
Welcome! That's very much like my 2004 Commemorative model. It was made right after they went back to traditional internal extractors. Mine has never jammed with the factory mag or any other mags I've tried. I usually shoot factory ball or lead round flat point reloads.

I've replaced a lot of small parts on it, but none that would directly affect reliability. I left the extractor and ejector stock. I admit the mag that it came with is nothing to write home about, and I've probably run Wilson 8 rounders in it more than any others. I've been very happy with it...I just wish they'd drop the front cocking serrations.

· Registered
2,350 Posts
Some work, some don't. They can be repaired tho. I dimpled the slide stop on mine to make it work. A friend of mine bought a slide stop from Wilson with the dimple. I don't know exactly what is off to cause this problem. Gun shoots good now tho.

· Registered
1,946 Posts
I have only 1 Kimber, a 6” all stainless target. It came to me with the adjustable rear sight glued in place which is ok in my opinion, but they got sloppy with the glue and got it all over the height adjuster which was then just non functional. But Kimber took it right back and made it 100% !

Since then I replaced the barrel bushing (.009in clearance I.d. And .007in clearance to the slide.) now providing less than .0005in clearances, this really tightened up the accuraccy. I also added an EGW .203in slide stop to fill the .2035in frame holes , much better. I also tuned the extractor which completely cured the occasional FTE/FTF , it’s been 100% now for the last few years and just unbelievably accurate, beyond my capability to demonstrate it. It just runs anything !

The frame to slide fit is very tight as is the barrel hood to the slide. Would I buy another Kimber ? Yes I believe so, is it a $1200-$1500 gun ? No, but quite frankly most of the new guns I’ve bought required the same work including some rather expensive semi-customs with the exception of my 5” all stainless 5” 9mm Ed Brown, which was pretty much perfect out of the box. My .02

· Premium Member
4,065 Posts
My Pro CDP and a previous Covert have been flawless since new. I had to sell the Covert when I got sick but I won it in a raffle so I made out but miss that one.

I am casually looking for a Super or a 9mm to convert but just looking till Spring.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts