1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a new Custom II. A TERRIFIC GUN, I have been sold on Glocks for about 7 years. No comparison.. The Kimber out shoots the Glock 21 and 30S. I purchased a set of five Kimber take down tools that look like an elongated L.. I can't find out how to use them.. I welcome comments and suggestions.

·
Registered
190 Posts
L tool

Good morning, from Kansas!

The "L" tool is for the guide rods. When the slide is moved rearward, there will be a small hole on the left side of the rod. Insert the short side and ease the slide forward. Now it will be easier to field strip the pistol.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
I purchased a set of five Kimber take down tools that look like an elongated L.. I can't find out how to use them.. I welcome comments and suggestions.
I don't think they're applicable to the full-sized pistol.

Here is the manual for the 4" pistols, which show the take-down tool in use on page 30.
http://www.kimberamerica.com/media/wysiwyg/manual-download/Compact.pdf

And the manual for the full-sized guns for comparison, which show the traditional take-down method for a 1911.
http://www.kimberamerica.com/media/wysiwyg/manual-download/1911Fullsize45.pdf

Two different barrel configurations, two different take-down methods.

Hope this helps,
L.

·
Registered
968 Posts
All you need for the Custom II is a bushing wrench. That isn't even mandatory, but makes bushing removal easier on full size 1911's with full length guide rods.

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
^^^ this you shouldn't need any tools to take apart a custom II a bushing wrench maybe but that would be it.. They use a 1 piece full length guide rod unlike the Springfield 2 piece which would require a Allen key.. The take down tool kit is only for the 5" bull barrel models the pro models compact and ultras.. Yours is the standard bushing and barrel model no tools required..

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Ok, think I got it, bought the "L" tool but it's a full size with a bushing! Sell the "L" tools on eBay, 😁 I looked at the KCII full size and saw bushing but the comment from the OP was about the tool. Sill, owners manual is your friend!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good morning, from Kansas!

The "L" tool is for the guide rods. When the slide is moved rearward, there will be a small hole on the left side of the rod. Insert the short side and ease the slide forward. Now it will be easier to field strip the pistol.
Thanks for the information. The Custom II does NOT have the hole in the guide rod. Necessary to break it down by removing the bushing, spring and plug. Thanks for the heads up. I also purchased a closed spring plug and find that I ordered the incorrect one. I did order a Kimber ball cap so I got 1 out of 3 right. Not good odds in a gun fight. I'm sure Kimber will work with me. Again thanke.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
I also purchased a closed spring plug and find that I ordered the incorrect one.
Your pistol has a full-length guide rod, you can't use a closed spring plug.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Just purchased a new Custom II. A TERRIFIC GUN, I have been sold on Glocks for about 7 years. No comparison.. The Kimber out shoots the Glock 21 and 30S. I....
Jriorda, welcome to Kimber ownership. Sounds like you like your Custom II as well as I do mine.

:rock:

My son has a G-30S and I named that little devil "Mayhem" :)

·
Registered
6,032 Posts
The Custom II is a fine 1911 and accuracy is good. As others have stated, all you need to disassemble it is a bushing wrench. I suggest shooting it for a while before changing out parts except for maybe grips as we all have our likes and dislikes.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I sometimes need the bushing wrench on a brand new Kimber, but after a trip to the range or two I can turn the bushing by hand and prefer that. Makes catching the spring and plug easier, for me.

Don't throw the tool away, however. They are perfect for depressing a new spring into a magazine, when the time comes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts