1911Forum banner

41 - 60 of 105 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
I just ordered the stainless LW 9mm 5" for $539. Pretty excited, as it's my first 1911
I just bought one as well. I'm happy but it's going back to Kimber for an issue. More than likely it's a fluke.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Dont say that. What is the fluke? I have zero patience for finicky guns. They find themselves on armslist

I couldn't say no to the kimber. seemed like an epic value. I really want the range officer champion 4" 9mm, but didnt want to spend the extra money.

Worst case scenario, if the kimber doesn't run, i will sell it and move on with life. I don't read a lot of positive things about kimber, unfortunately. Seems like they either run, or they don't.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just got an email stating that my kimber has shipped! 24 hours after ordering, despite their website quoting 5-7 days. Should have it Tuesday, or so.

Im really hoping that she's a sweet shooter with no whammies.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I don't read a lot of positive things about kimber, unfortunately. Seems like they either run, or they don't.
The internet reputation of Kimber is vastly over dramatized and inaccurate. You are right, they run or they don't, which is true of all 1911s, but you'll find Kimbers tend to run. And run and run and run.

Go to Kimber forum you'll find guys with a dozen of them that have never had trouble with any of them.

Enjoy your gun!

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Dont say that. What is the fluke? I have zero patience for finicky guns. They find themselves on armslist

I couldn't say no to the kimber. seemed like an epic value. I really want the range officer champion 4" 9mm, but didnt want to spend the extra money.

Worst case scenario, if the kimber doesn't run, i will sell it and move on with life. I don't read a lot of positive things about kimber, unfortunately. Seems like they either run, or they don't.
So I was and will do a full write up review soon.

But the accuracy is terrible. I brought my Colt Competition in 9mm with my new Kimber for comparison.

The colt had a 1.5 inch group and the Kimber was around 6 inches with the same quality ammunition. A perfect side by side comparison!

I noticed that the chamber in the Kimber was short when I performed a plunk test and I believe that's the problem.

The barrel and bushing were fitted very well. The slide to frame is perfect! It should be as accurate as the Colt!

·
Registered
46 Posts
When you say that the chamber was short, are you referring to unsupported case wall? I suppose that would be the visual indicator. You're suspecting that the projectile isn't in the appropriate position, relative to the rifling?

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
When you say that the chamber was short, are you referring to unsupported case wall? I suppose that would be the visual indicator. You're suspecting that the projectile isn't in the appropriate position, relative to the rifling?
I didn't use a rest. It was all with my hands.

It has a Wilson style ramped barrel and has plenty of case support.

My issue is that the casing stuck out around ten thousandths or more from the end of the barrel. Meaning that the bullet was being pushed into the lands in the barrel when into battery. So I believe it wasn't head spacing correctly.

Other than that, the pistol is of high quality!

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Thanks

I think my kimber should be here tomorrow. worst case scenario, Tuesday. Im excited. I will post pics and whatnot once I receive it. I anticipate covering the gun in skateboard grip tape like i do every other gun i own

Does your stainless LW have white dots on the rear sight? Thanks
Yes it does.
I'm going to do the same. The grips ar a bit slippery too. I plan on swapping the full length guide rod and plug too.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Pardon my ignorance, as i have little experience with 1911s so far. Why are you swapping the guide rod? This kimber comes with a full length guide rod, correct?

I just left my LGS. Thought I would stop in there to see if they had one of these kimbers. They had a stainless II that i got to handle.

Im sure the magazine subject has been discussed ad nauseam on this forum. I was going to buy a wilson 10 round mag when i was at the store, but decided to come home and do a little more research. I actually just ordered one of the updated mecgar 10 round mags off of ebay to try out. Any mag recommendations?

[I'm going to do the same. The grips ar a bit slippery too. I plan on swapping the full length guide rod and plug too.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
255 Posts
Chuck, I'm running WC 10-round 9mm mags in all my Kimber Custom and Pro guns along with a few Kimber 9-round mags. So far the five WC's I have, all have performed perfectly every time.

Only good to report, no failures of any kind. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I picked up one today at Bass pro shop, I got the stainless for $599.97 then a$30 military discount. I did make it to the range and put about a 100 rounds through it. Very tight groups, no malfunctions. I'll probably change out the plastic mainspring housing and the beaver tail appears to be plastic also. But anyway I'm glad that I bought it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Awesome. i was going to ask if the wc 10 rounders protrude from a government-sized grip? Im not referring to the rubber base pad on the mag

Chuck, I'm running WC 10-round 9mm mags in all my Kimber Custom and Pro guns along with a few Kimber 9-round mags. So far the five WC's I have, all have performed perfectly every time.

Only good to report, no failures of any kind.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Plastic beavertail? No kidding.

It's good that people are buying these and reporting back. There is hardly any info on these and zero YouTube videos

I picked up one today at Bass pro shop, I got the stainless for $599.97 then a$30 military discount. I did make it to the range and put about a 100 rounds through it. Very tight groups, no malfunctions. I'll probably change out the plastic mainspring housing and the beaver tail appears to be plastic also. But anyway I'm glad that I bought it.

41 - 60 of 105 Posts