1911Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about having some custom work done on my TLE to improve accuracy (yes, its already accurate) and saw that Kimber's Custom Shop offers the following service: "Fit New STS Barrel & Bushing 1"@25yrds. Guarantee" for $375. Do you really get 1" groups at 25 yards after this work? It looks like a great deal.

·
Registered
735 Posts
It all depends on if YOU can shoot that well to put it in a 1" pattern! I can tell you that other companies do this and I don't remember a 1" @ 25 yard guarantee. To my knowledge at least with the others. I think LB has a 1 ½ inch guaranteed @ 50 yards (an upgrade option) so I don't know why Kimber couldn't do 1" at 25 yards. Mostly accuracy comes from the shooter first and the barrel guarantee 2nd. I am not for sure but I think that they are both going to be Kart Barrels!

Good luck......... :)

Also, why do you want the extra accuracy? competition or just wanting to spend an extra $375.00 you have laying around?

·
Premium Member
5,967 Posts
What the...

Custom-guy said:
Why do you want the extra accuracy? competition or just wanting to spend an extra $375.00 you have laying around?
+1
Benching your current gun at 25 yds should put you in 1 to 1.5" groups already.

Perhaps we could interest you in a bull-barrel bushingless option with re - engineered lock-up on the frame/slide fit plus a little trigger work, which will get you into the .75" area for only $1500.00 more?? Have your people call my people...

·
Registered
735 Posts
No! Don't need to, I am happy with what I have already. I can do 1.5" - 2.5" when conditions are right and I am seeing things good, right now. If .5" - 1.0" better = $375.00 plus shipping and tax! I will have to pass.

Again, what will you be using this for? do you just want it! or is it for competition? I can tell you that the barrel will not make you a better shooter the barrel will make an already exceptional shooter even better. :)

·
Premium Member
9,373 Posts
Longslide45 said:
I was thinking about having some custom work done on my TLE to improve accuracy (yes, its already accurate) and saw that Kimber's Custom Shop offers the following service: "Fit New STS Barrel & Bushing 1"@25yrds. Guarantee" for $375. Do you really get 1" groups at 25 yards after this work? It looks like a great deal.

I have never had the work done specificlly, but I do have a Kimber Gold Match
that came out of the Custom Shop. And this is a tack-driver. I am sure if you
order the service you will get what you ask for. And it is still under their
implied "warranty" since they did the work.

I believe in having a pistol made as accurate as possible without making it
less reliable. I shoot for speed and hit on steel and combat accuracy is fine
for that, but I also like the ability to make the 1 in a 1000 shot.

Ask Kimber if they will send back a test target and if they will zero the sights
for POI before return.

Regards,
Greyson

·
Premium Member
9,373 Posts
Custom-guy said:
No! Don't need to, I am happy with what I have already. I can do 1.5" - 2.5" when conditions are right and I am seeing things good, right now. If .5" - 1.0" better = $375.00 plus shipping and tax! I will have to pass.

Again, what will you be using this for? do you just want it! or is it for competition? I can tell you that the barrel will not make you a better shooter the barrel will make an already exceptional shooter even better. :)
For my carry needs the gun MUST shoot under 2 inches at 25 yards. And I
mean way under. As a general rule you will not see this kind of performance
out of a non-custom gun.

I also believe this user was asking about benching the gun to see what the
manufacturer can do. I do agree that he would also benefit from a trigger
job and a check of his sights to see if POI is where it should be.

Regards,
Greyson

·
Registered
735 Posts
Greyson said:
For my carry needs the gun MUST shoot under 2 inches at 25 yards. And I
mean way under. As a general rule you will not see this kind of performance
out of a non-custom gun.
I am all for a custom and a high performance product! that's all I have and all I will buy or have built. But I am happy with how my guns shoot at 25 yards for carry. Kimbers are surprisingly accurate out of the box. I am just saying that 375.00 + tax + shipping is steep for a half an inch better for anything other than compitition use, that's all. I wish I had this done with one so I could give a report on it for the poster but personally I don't think I would see that much of a difference in it assuming that the gun was set up properly before this was done. :)

·
Premium Member
3,451 Posts
Longslide45 said:
You can improve accuracy by just installing a match bushing. Actionworks will do that for a little over $50. Unless there is something wrong with your barrel I wouldn't replace it. Coming from Kimber I would think that it would be pretty close to the same barrel you have already. Just my .02, but I'd think of something else to spend the other $325 on. If your set on a new barrel I'd check around for prices, $375 seems a little steep...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.