Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering, if the custom shop offers more services, other than
whats listed on the website. ?

Kimber rounds the MSH on the RCP and SIS ultra. It takes that knife point
feel out of the palm of your hand ! I would like to get this done on my pro
cdp. It needs the cheesy plastic MSH changed anyway, and thought for a
few more dollars maybe have it rounded out, like RCP and SIS ultra.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I was going to call and ask the same thing for my UCII, I got to hold my new baby(Ultra RCP II) for a few minutes before it went back in the safe for layaway, and couldn't believe how much of a difference that little bit of round makes. I'll let you know what they say, I will try to call tomorrow. If they don't offer the service, I've seen people use the "Bobtail" MSH, just cut them down and round off the frame, refinish and enjoy. Either way I'm figuring it will cost probably in the ball park of $200 to get this done, maybe more.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Well, since it is plastic, I usually smooth mine off with a small sharp knife. NOT very much but just enough to get rid of the "daggers".

The only one I have not done that with is the SIS with its metal MSH that is already slightly rounded.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Called Kimber today. I talked to a mildly unpleasant woman who would not transfer me to the Custom Shop, said she could answer my questions. Asked about the modification, said they only offer it on the RCP and no other Ultra framed models, I correct her and tell her it is also offered on the Ultra SIS, then she snips at me, "we only offer it on those TWO models then, and we won't do it to any other pistols". My answer was "OK then BYE". I think she was a little taken back, then a quiet, surprised voice, "Um, bye."

I guess I will be doing this myself then, I need to find a good anodizer to finish the frame and MSH when I'm done.

To anyone from Kimber that may read this, I think you should reconsider doing this service, once these models become more popular, more people will be wanting you to do this modification to their Ultra's. Also I wasn't impressed with the manner I was spoken to by your customer service rep. That was my second call to Kimber, the first I had no complaints other than misinformation, this one was a ZERO. As for the first call, I think customer service reps should be more familiar with ALL products and services offered, and not mislead a costomer into thinking they need to modify their pistol, when infact they do not.

·
Premium Member
15,298 Posts
I've called a few times about mine, and each time I usually get what I called about. They're busy, sometimes you have to leave a message, but they call back every time.

Not all of them are as eager to help, but giving any kind of attitude or snide remark or anything that in any way can be construed as condescending isn't taken well. I called to check status of mine he other day and it was clear, the person I talked to didn't want to check on it. I got a high level run down of what's being done, which I already knew, and I let them know what the status was last week which is why I was calling to see if it was about done this week. Once it was known that I had more of an update they they did, I was reminded they have a note to call me before they ship it, and that once it's done, someone would call.

I said thank you and bid a good day and hung up. :D It wasn't worth pushing it. Last time the person went out of their way to get as much detail as they could get.

If you want to call the Custom Shop, dial their extension; I have it, but don't want to get in trouble until I get mine back. :biglaugh: But it's also on their web-site. Dennis usually answers but check any attitude or negative tone at the door....ask anyone. He comes across as if he's extremely busy and I can imagine. He's not going to spend time one something that customer service can handle.

Remember the Seinfeld episode with the soup natzi? Be nice or, "No gun work for you!!!" :biglaugh:

They're no-nonsense and serious about going above and beyond in taking care of their product. Just be reasonable and respectful and you'll be amazed and what they will do.

BTW, I think right now they are extra busy. If so, they may not be interested in talking about minor aesthetic treatments right now. It's not difficult for a good local smithy to do, and I'm sure they get it all the time. Once the customer figures out what it's going to cost to ship the gun UPS Air to and from Kimber for minor work, they decide to have it done locally. Just speculation though.

·
Registered
626 Posts
As another option, depending on your hand size, if you replace the MSH with a extended mag well, usually that's enough to get the edge past the meat of your palm. I did that on my Pro CDP and my Pro Carry, doesn't make it any harder for me to hide either - but at 6'4", 250# I could hide a Desert Eagle if I wanted to.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Not all of them are as eager to help, but giving any kind of attitude or snide remark or anything that in any way can be construed as condescending isn't taken well. I called to check status of mine he other day and it was clear, the person I talked to didn't want to check on it. I got a high level run down of what's being done, which I already knew, and I let them know what the status was last week which is why I was calling to see if it was about done this week. Once it was known that I had more of an update they they did, I was reminded they have a note to call me before they ship it, and that once it's done, someone would call.
Just to be clear, she was the one giving me attitude, I was polite untill I was treated like an imbecile, said bye, and hung up. I wouldn't call and intentionally try to piss someone off if I wanted them to work on my pistol. I was not condescending in any way when I corrected her mistake, she didn't even let me finish my sentence before she told me again that they wouldn't do it. Busy or not, every customer should be treated like their only one, I know, my wife has her own business and I see how she takes care of customer service personally. I wasn't expecting a long winded response on why they wouldn't do it, but being as short as she was with me made me feel like I was bothering her in some way, to give you an idea, the entire phone call, including menu and transfer, was 1 minute 17 seconds. I am by no means shutting down all commerce with Kimber, but I know they won't be doing anything but warrenty work for me(if I ever need it). I will continue to buy pistols and some accessories, but that will be it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts