1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still looking for my first 1911 with a budget of a little over $1K. The Kimber Custom TLE/RL II has caught my eye, but I'm hoping some owners of this 1911 could chime in with their thoughts. On other forums, I've read people are not happy with the quality and customer service of Kimber.

Would I be making a mistake purchasing the Kimber Custom TLE/RL II?

·
Registered
12,239 Posts
The TLE/RL II is one of my favorite pistols and serves "Nighstand Duty" 24x7x365. As MIke mentioned about the rail; if you don't need it, then there are many other alternatives available.

Personally, I love the rail for the designated purpose of my TLE/RL. Mine is a Pro TLE/RL and the additional weight of the rail/bull barrel adds great balance and follow-up shots despite being a 4" 1911. So, even if you don't plan to use the rail to mount accessories, it still has some benefits.

·
Premium Member
9,656 Posts
I have the TLE/RL, it's my only railed 1911 currently. Mine ran right out of the box, but all of my 1911s have as well. If you don't need/want the rail, the TLE is a good choice. I've made a few changes to mine, to suit my personal preferences. Threads like this can always benefit from pics, so here you go.

Harrison short/smooth trigger in black IonBond. 10-8 rear sight with stock front night sight, Linville Knife & Toll Micarta grips, slotted screws and an EGW slide stop (because I don't like the profile of the stock slide stop). I also replace full length guide rods as standard practice, this is an EGQ GI length GR with a Cylinder & Slide plug (which has a notch to allow it to thread onto the spring, eliminating the flying plug phenomena). The redish cast in the last two pictures is due to lighting.

Robert

·
Registered
526 Posts
Another vote for the TLE. Mine has no rail because I carry my light in my other hand...old school tactical training. It fits more holsters that way too.

Had mine "personalized" (trigger job, mag well, a little polishing here and there, my lube instead of theirs, etc) before I shot it the first time but that's a personal preference. Some 1911's run out of the box and some don't. To me, tweaking a 1911 is like tuning a hot-rod. They may run fine as delivered but I like mine to run better than that. I hear a lot about FTF, FTE etc but unless a 1911 has a major problem like improper basic machining or a broken part, they can all be made to run.

Dump the factory mag and replace with a Wilson, McCormick or another premium mag. I'll never understand why some folks will spend a grand on a pistol and balk at a $30 magazine when nearly every failure of a brand new 1911 can be traced to the magazine.

And if it's your first foray into the 1911 platform please shoot it off the bags first to confirm it does indeed shoot where you point it and groups well (it will). That way when you go to the range and shoot off-hand and your shots go astray you'll know it ain't the gun :eek:)

·
Registered
87 Posts
The TLE is one of the best bang-for-buck guns Kimber offers. If you don't plan on using a light and don't want the added weight of the rail, just go with a Custom TLE or Stainless TLE II if you're after the 5" to save some $$$.

·
Registered
6,032 Posts
You wont be disapointed if you buy the Kimber. If you don't need the rail (I personally don't care for it), then get the TLE or the Custom II.

·
Premium Member
3,331 Posts
I just bought a Gold Combat and am heart broken that my SS Pro TLE II RL is still my favorite Kimber. The added weight does make a recoil difference. It also fits all of my CCW holsters without an issue. I added a mag well to mine and will soon add an ambi safety. You will not be disappointed.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I used to have a Custom TLE/RLII, and now have a Pro TLE II, and have had no issues with either. I'm a huge fan of the TLE series! I wish I still had my TLE/RL II!

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Yet another vote for the TLE series !

A Stainless Pro TLE/RL II is my designated nightstand gun. With a rail mounted Streamight
TLR-1s light and Crimson Trace laser grips, it is well suited for nightstand use.

My Custom TLE II is a recent addition to my Kimber collection. While I have been carrying
Ultra or Pro models for many years, (current carry weapon is the Stainless Ultra TLE II
shown below)
, I find myself reaching for the Custom more and more....... :D

·
Registered
157 Posts
I bought a Kimber TLE/RL II as my first gun and still have it. It has been absolutely flawless and I trust if I'm ever in a situation where I'd have to use it that it would go BANG every time! Some or most of the negative things you hear about Kimber is due to parroting posters that have never owned one.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
I bought a Kimber TLE/RL II as my first gun and still have it. It has been absolutely flawless and I trust if I'm ever in a situation where I'd have to use it that it would go BANG every time! Some or most of the negative things you hear about Kimber is due to parroting posters that have never owned one.
So true about the "parroting posters" !

Reminds me of a phrase I heard many years ago.....

"On the internet, you can be anyone you want to be."

There are so many gun 'experts' on the 'net. While I truly appreciate those that take the time to share real knowledge and personal experience with others, I also frown at those who knock specific brands or gun models 'just because'. Sometimes a keyboard and an audience can be a dangerous thing........

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have a TLE II (non-rail.) You simply cannot go wrong with a TLE. Had mine for five years with zero malfunctions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The custom TLE/RL II was the first kimber I ever bought and I love it. Solid and extremely accurate. All my friends who shoot it love it. Just an all around good gun and you can find them for a nice price too. I bought mine probably 2 years ago at a gun show new for about $890

GL on your search!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts