1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gotta hand it to the folks in Yonkers. (Now, Dennis and Winslow, read this...)

I stopped by my favorite gun shop this evening and saw a Kimber 1911 Rimfire Target .22ACP Government Model in the case, and immediately had to check it out. What a beauty...tactical black... slide and frame made of light machined aluminum alloy with classic black-T type coating....fully adjustable Bo-Mars...HAD to HAVE IT.

Plunked down my $599.95 and brought it home.

So, after a quick strip-down and COMPLETE lubing of the weapon with FP-10, I took 3 types of .22 rimfire to test (and just shoot the heck out of it). I dragged out my bullet traps in the warehouse and commenced a shootin'.

The 3 types were:
1. Remington .22LR brass coated rounds (bulk stuff but highly accurate and effective in my Kimber Classic, P-22, Ruger, etc.)
2. Remington Sub-Sonic
3. Aquila SSS (Sniper SubSonic, 68gr bullets).

How did they and the Kimber fair?

Well, the consistent and constant cycler, with no alibies, was suprisingly, the Aquila SSS rounds. These are made for bolt action rifles, but performed flawlessly in feeding and extraction. Went through a whole box of these. The only interesting thing was that they shot fairly accurately, but every hole was oblong, which indicated that the bullet was not being stablized well enough by the short, 5 in. barrel. This is no fault of the pistol, as I said, they were designed for longer bolt action rifle bores with an optimized twist for higher stability of a heavier bullet. But, reliable?...as all-get-ot in feeding and extracting.

Next, the Remington subsonics were a bomb. None of them would cause the pistol to "full stroke", causing me to manually eject each round. The bullet-mass of the Aquila SSS (68gr) was much larger than the subsonic Remington (52gr, I think) and compensated the energy needed for blow-back operation.

Finally, the good old Remington standard, .22LR, was intermittent at best. The cases ejected fine, but more rounds would NOT fully seat in the chamber which prevented it from going into full battery, than those that did. I ended up having to give a little "thumb push" on the rear of the slide, almost every shot.

Now, I disassembled and cleaned the barrel, chamber, and receiver, between each type of ammo, so there was no build-up of burnt propellant or debris to be found. (Talk about EASY to take-down, with no thumb-bustin on the bushing or anything...just plain IDEAL) The slide to frame fit is perfect and feels like glass on the cycle. The magazine is one of the finest constructed polymer mags I've ever seen, with ample spring-to-follower tension.

So, my thoughts lie in two areas.
1. Is the recoil spring sufficient (as it seems fairly light to me, but thats just an imperical observation)?
2. Is the brass-coating of the Remington LR rounds creating enough friction at the vertical hood of the chamber (as opposed to the plain lead) as to cause the slowing of the round when being fed into the chamber to stop just about 1/16th of an inch from full battery?

I'll pick up some Federal, Winchester, and PMC stuff tomorrow and give that a go.

But, in reality, a properly ramped, champhered, and fit barrel, should eat anything of a round and tapered bullet design, as long as the spring tolerences are sufficient to release enough energy back to the slide for full battery effect.

I LOVE this Gun, and it is just plain sweet, gorgeous, and accutate as hell. Need to get it feeding properly and then, perfection will be attained.

I'll post back on the other ammo tomorrow night.

Best regards,
George

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
George, you may want to pick up some hi-velocity ammo and run through a brick to help smooth things out.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kruz, ma man!

Hey Kruzr,

Yea, I'm definitely gonna get some more as I stated, and if there's no difference in the WIN, FED, etc., then I'll "burn" as you suggest. Thanks for the input, my friend.

Best regards,
George

PS...did I say how AWESOME this lil' bugger is?
It is soooooooo sweet and the factory trigger is real nice...no takeup...crisp and clean, and light. I'll do a little more work on it in the future, and bring it to 2.5-3 pounds.
3:25am est...and I wanna go out and shoot it again....:biglaugh:

Later...
G

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Almost every Rimfire I have heard of, has problems with low or standard velocity ammunition, including mine. When I bought mine, it would not cycle the CCI Blazer or Winchester-X that I was using. Tried the CCI Stingers, and they worked 100%. Then I tried the CCI Mini-mags, and they also functioned 100% of the time, and are about half of the cost of the Stingers. Seems like standard velocity ammo just does not have the power to cycle the slide. Give the Mini-mags a try (have been able to pick them up $3.50/100) or the Stingers, or any other hi-velocity brand. The Rimfire is an absolute blast to shoot. Really glad I got one.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Does the rimfire use the standard size recoil/mainspring combo? Dropping the mainspring a few pounds would really speed the slide up. If it does I have several of each you can experiment with FP (including some with some coils clipped).

·
Registered
172 Posts
I've got a Marvel Unit 1 (so this isn't a direct comparison, but similar).. it feeds CCI Blazer flawlessly.. but won't feed Winchester-X at all.. I couldn't get a single round to load

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lycanthrope said:
Does the rimfire use the standard size recoil/mainspring combo? Dropping the mainspring a few pounds would really speed the slide up. If it does I have several of each you can experiment with FP (including some with some coils clipped).
Hmmmmm....Jeffrey, ma man!
You make an excellent point as well. What everyone is saying about the hi-velocity ammo is true, which overcomes and masks a condition that you imply, but in actuality is beating the slide-against-frame much harder, hence wearing and stressing the dual aluminum alloy principal parts. Lightening the mainspring would overcome the hammer-to-mainspring "energy sponge" in the cycling system, but it needs to be experimented with (as you say) so it does not compromise the integrity and safety of the trigger that may result in "double-taps" and NFA fun :D

I'll measure the tension of the .22, vs the .45 vs the .40, and note the comparisons. If appropriate, after that, I'll pull off the mainspring housing and compare the dimensinal aspects. Then go from there.

I may call Dennis and Winslow before I get the "torch out", as they are the pistol experts, and I'm just the Lube Engineer :D

Keep ya posted...

Best regards,
George

·
Registered
483 Posts
No problem on the double taps. I have high power firing pin springs as well (assuming they are the same spring type).

I've seen this a lot in newer .22 auto rifles (Winchester and some Ruger 10/22's). Most prefer the Stingers as the springs are too heavy or the action is too tight for light loads in the early usage. Dimensions may not matter as lighter mainsprings can be a lot longer than higher pressure ones if the coils are not as large. If it won't cycle, I doubt it has enough energy to batter the frame, but thats what shok buffs are for.........Does it use a guiderod?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
da Wolfe-Man

Yep, it has a unique guide rod, that has a wide, cupped base, and an end-cap that are both aluminum, with the actual rod being very slender and about 2.5 in long. The whole assembly seems to work wonderfully, and takedown is quick, as well as a breeze.

The spring (dimensionally) is like a long firing pin spring, thin and closer coil separation. Come over here and I'll show ya ;)

Best regards,
George

·
Registered
346 Posts
I had no luck with Winchester Super-X, or the bulk Federal packs.

As stated earlier, I don't think you can go wrong with the CCI Mini-Mags. They work 100% for me. The Stingers are fun to shoot, and also work 100%.....but a little more expensive.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Conversations with God...

OK...from a VERY reliable source, here's some info.

The Rimfire Target comes with an 18 pound mainspring.

I'm gonna call Wolf and get a 15 pounder, and try it (as I was directed).

My source says, it should run fine on standard loads like the Remingtom .22LR brass coated bulk stuff. However, do not use the 15 pound mainsping in a .45ACP, as reliability will suffer.

I am sworn to protect my source :D

I'll post back on this soon.

PS....my P-22 shoots this ammo fine, with no problems, as well as my Ruger Mark II. I hate to do a work-around if the fix is available, but thanks for everyone's input.

Best regards,
George

·
Registered
483 Posts
I've got a 17lb and a 15lb FP. All yours to try out.

P.S. - Don't tell God I run an 15lb in .45 (without a burp for the past 3000). It might malfunction, or turn to salt or something,

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Firepower, keep us posted on how the 15lb mainspring works. Sure hope it works well, as I sure would like to shoot cheap ammo out of my Rimfire! Thanks!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lycanthrope said:
I've got a 17lb and a 15lb FP. All yours to try out.
Jeff, I'd like to try them both, bro.
P.S. - Don't tell God I run an 15lb in .45 (without a burp for the past 3000). It might malfunction, or turn to salt or something,
:rofl:
I won't....:biglaugh:

Andy, no problem. We'll keep you posted on this one. I'll be seeing Lyc soon and get the springs from him.

Best regards,
George

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
CCI Mini Mags

Just as a footnote...

I picked up a brick of the CCI Mini Mags (while waiting for the 15 pound spring) cause the joy of shooting this 1911 .22 is just too great.

They work fine but you can certainly "feel" the difference in their higher velocity (like I didn't expect it... :eek: )

If you guys are Kimber Freaks (of course) and need to give Santa a "Christmas Wish"...ask for one of these.

1911 Rimfire Target, "all the way"...OOOOAH!

Best regards,
George

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Yes Firepower, you are absolutely correct. The Rimfire Target is an absolute blast to shoot! Here's mine next to my newest addition.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Hey Firepower, tried the 19lb Wolff hammer spring in my Rimfire II, and still had cycling problems with cheap ammo. Also had problems with the same ammo in my Walther P22. Will try a different brand this week. Any luck with the 15 or 17lb spring?

·
Registered
153 Posts
on a side note

Hi guys

I built a 1911 (caspian steel frame) with a kimber/ciener .22 conversion kit i used a standard spring kit from brownells nothing too special

I spent hours lapping the frame/silde to butter smooth

I run all sorts of ammo in it from OLD OLD federal lightning crap to sub sonics

the sub sonic do cause a hiccup every now and again

I hunt rabbits and squirrels with this here in Michigan and I shoot Quick Shox ( a hyper velocity) .22 pre frag round

DAMN these ruin a tree rats day in a heart beat to date i have taken 3 (deer season too priority over rodents)

all were single shot kills the longest was 26 yards at a 2.5lb Fox squirrel the bullet did its job leaving 1 entry hole and 3 exit holes

Jamie

1 - 20 of 21 Posts