1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After following forum for months and reading a loyal group's following of Custom Compact, I had to try one. Well that is where the problem started (very pleased with). I really appreciate the information and experience shared on the forum it has certainly helped me , Please keep it up. Thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
crackerjack,
Nice pair of Kimbers! Who made the grips? They look like the work of Scott Sensing. Are they made of desert ironwood?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Duces

You are correct , Scott Sensing made grips form AZ Ironwood slabs . Thanks for comments, what blows me away is there ability to shoot .I really enjoy info you share on production history on Kimber. Thanks

·
Premium Member
20,305 Posts
Beautiful combination, congratulations! They are indeed a great pistol. I'll never get rid of my first Stainless Compact!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Duces

AZ Husker, Thanks, I have to say your opinion on compacts greatly impacted my decision to buy.....You where 100%
correct and I Thank You! I got a chance to fire stainless today as it was NIB. Ran 48 rounds of 200g SWC had one failure for slide to completely close on second mag (kimber mag) after that it functioned perfect with wilson and kimber mag and grouped very well. The blued has 3 Dot nite sights and they are much easier for my aged eyes to pick up than the black on stainless. Any suggestions for sights adapt to very used eyes would be appreciated.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Hi Crackerjack,

I think we have a lot in common... We both like Kimbers, we both utilize Scott's talent in grip making, we both like stainless guns, we both use Desert Ironwood and shop at the same place for them, and we both seem to have designed the same checkering pattern :D This is my Kimber full size I just got back from Roger's Precision, wearing the new Desert Ironwood grips I purchased from AZ Ironwood and crafted by Scott Sensing...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
pklin,
Very nice looking Kimber! What did Roger's Precision do to your gun?

·
Registered
676 Posts
Hi 45auto,

Here is the list of work:

> Standard reliability package.
> Replace SS plunger tube.
> Match crown barrel.
> Carry bevel package.
> Recontour thumb safety to match slide release.
> Recontour Wilson grip safety for Brown beavertail shape.
> Rework ejection port.
> Bead blast all.
> Mirror polish slide flats.
> Drill and paint sight dots in front and rear sight, matching
Heinie straight 8 dot pattern.

All was done in 6 weeks.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Duces

PKlin, Sharp pistol and beautiful grips.Yes, we do share like perferences. The checkering pattern is your design if memory serves me correct, in fact I related to that in accessories forum, it reminds me of the old double barrels checkering of the early 1900's enough to be functional and not take away from wood's beauty and "I Thank You for coming up with it". I have got to upgrade sights on stainless as having trouble picking up black factory ones, any suggestions? Thanks

·
Registered
676 Posts
Hi Crackerjack,

Plain black factory sight was hard to pick up also, plus I like the more angular look of Novaks so I decided to replace the rear sight to Novaks designed to fit in Kimber dovetail. I then asked Chuck to place sight dots on the sight (Chuck does this by drilling a shallow pocket in the sight, then fill it with white paint).
Instead of the classic three dot sight pattern, I asked Chuck to please drill the Heinie Straight 8 pattern, which is a faster way to pick up the sight for me by lining the front dot above the rear single dot. I will paint the dots again with sight paint from -

www.brightsights.com/index.shtml

Green rear with Orange front had worked very well for me when I had Ashley Outdoors Express Sights installed on my first Kimber full size, so I will use this combo again. Dots definitely help, but the Express Sight was by far the fastest way for me, though if you want to get it, get the small dot version so you can still target shoot with the Duo.

Thank you very much for your comments about the grip design, I am sure someone else had come up with it but just never had the chance to materialize it! I had several other designs and had Scott looked them over to see if it was doable, and this was the design I chose. I chose it because like you said, it is functional and it also preserved a large uncheckered area to show off the beautiful wood. Glad you liked it, if you want you can ask Scott to forward you my other designs to see if you want those made, I am sure he wouldn't mind :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts