1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
-----------------------------------
First, please don't yell too loudly; and if I must, I will go to 1911 purgatory and send my Kimber to a competent gunsmith for remission of my sins .

Anyhow, I just got this Eclipse on Thursday, disassembled and cleaned it and took it to the range yesterday. My best grouping at 15 yds was a set of 13 rounds, 1/2" off center and within a 2" circle. I was very happy ( considering my shooting expertise is only 6 months old ), but I noted that some shots seemed to be less than optimal in that the trigger would slightly 'grind and break' rather than a clean snap.

SO, when I got home, I did another full breakdown and inspected the wonderful quality of the MIM 'precision' parts. The sear-trigger surfaces were well machined ( and I did not TouchThem ! ), but the rest of the cast surfaces were unmachined and the lower sear fork which mates with the disconnector had a bit of excess material sticking out. The bottom sear fork 'seemed' to have a slight radius (?) Anyhow, I removed the mold spur with some 600 paper, smoothed the rest of that fork a bit and polished with jeweler's rouge and cloth. The surface is still a bit pitted from molding imperfections, but I tried to not remove too much material.

I polished the trigger sides and yoke with rouge to a high shine - reassembled all and tried the mechanism without springs. I could still feel a bit of roughness. Apart again. I then polished the sides of the sear and inner area of the disconnector with rouge on a cloth - moving the parts quickly over the polishing cloth. I also polished the disconnector flat which interfaces to the trigger yoke and the round bearing surface of the upper portion of the disconnector. ALL the cleanup was done on un machined areas.

Back together finally with some nice moly lube. Results : my unskilled opinion, pretty smooth !

How much trigger overtravel is nominal - I think I have about 0.015" or so. I know that too little causes the hammer to catch the sear on the halfcock spur, but is there a 'too much' point also ??

All safety functions work, disconnector tests okay, halfcock does not fall.

Please Have Patience - I would have not attempted this with a 'smith-tuned machine, but the stock Kimber seemed like it needed some immediate assistance !!!

Thanks !

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Epilog :
I cautiously shot a few 3 round sets, then 5, then full. No problems. The performance is not perfect, but a great deal smoother than it was out of the box. I will not endeavor any further 'enhancements' : I will quit while ahead.

Regards !

·
Registered
195 Posts
Good job! Are you taking any work? I may have to send my Eclipse II your way. Do you offer a reliability package

------------------
"Ain't nothin' like a finely-tuned 1911..."

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey GRacer,
What have been your problems ? A week or so ago you were smiling with joy at your new acquisition. Kimber has actually met my expectations ... as someone 'wiser than I' said : Kimber makes a great $500-$700 pistol. The accuracy is okay .. the fine tuning is lacking, but I have seen much worse.

Best

·
Registered
195 Posts
Yes, I agree Kimber makes decent "production" 1911s for the price. I do still enjoy shooting my Custom Eclipse II and the only thing I've done on it is change the grips. I do however, need to send the slide in to get the front night sight replaced, but its so hard to let go...

A note on their warranty service, excellent turn-around time. I just got a new 1/2 Kimber today

------------------
"Ain't nothin' like a finely-tuned 1911..."

[This message has been edited by Glock_Racer (edited 08-31-2001).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts