1911Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all! Have a couple of quick questions about my latest purchase.

I am a huge fan of 10mm, and have several pistols chambered in 10mm. I reload 10mm stuff, and tend to load them a bit hot. I have chronoed my 180 grain loads at 1200 fps... not as hot as some, but hotter than a lot of the factory offerings.

Anyhow, Not knowing much about the 10mm 1911 platform, can anybody honesty see anything wrong with shooting hot 10mm loads through this pistol? Just curious if anybody else throws hot 10mm through their Kimber.

Also, is Chip McCormik the way to go for 10mm 1911 magazines? I tried Wilson, but they don't sell anything about springs and followers for 10mm that I can tell from thier website.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

EDITED TO ADD:
Search feature is a wonderful thing... found some information in this thread

·
Registered
24 Posts
10mm help mags, etc.

I have used the Brownells mags and followers kits for my 10 mm Kimber and Dan Wesson- they are made by Metalform I believe. Good stuff and they work. Also hot loads can really wear out your gun -a steady diet of them is hard on any 1911 type 10mm. I use a lot of the aluminum case Blazer stuff in my autos so I dont have to chase brass! Good loads are available from Georgia Arms (new ammo) . Love the 10!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much! Will look into those magazines!

Yeah, hot 10mm can be hard on any metal framed gun I guess... I generally try not to shoot too hot of a load through my S&W 1076 for that reason.

Might change over the main spring and recoil spring in the Kimber, and follow some of the other advice in the thread I posted... even if it does nothing but make me feel better about shooting warm 10mm loads!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
WICKED9633

I have a Kimber SS Target 10mm. I've shoot alot of Double Tap hot loads thru mine with no problems. Very Accurate. I picked up Chip McCormick Shooting Star magazines and they work great. You can check with Mike McNett at Double Tap and I believe that I read that he has put over 5,000 rounds thru his Kimber SS Target 10mm with no problems. He just puts in a different recoil spring for constant shooting of Double Tap ammo. I'm going to get a Kimber Eclipse 10mm as my next purchase.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pictures

Took some pictures of my Eclipse Custom II... thought I would share...

I am a fan of the Punisher comic books (only when Garth Ennis writes them, and only when he isn't wearing white boots!), and for whatever reason this gun really reminded me of that comic book! So, I guess it has become my tribute to the Punisher comic book!

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Omg!!!

Those grips ROCK!!! :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Hey, I had a Delta Elite (semi-custom). I tossed a Kings 10mm full length guide rod/buffer system. It seemed to help more than in just a psychological way. All I ever fed my Delta were Winchester Silvertips (my carry load), Hornady 155 and Cor Bon 165. I refused to shoot "fed-lite" in the gun. Even for practice. Put 800-850 rounds thru the gun with no discernible wear whatsoever. I realize it's a small amount but I had a gunsmith check it out and he said aside from the finish wearing (just a little) off the frame where the slide contact was, there was no weak(weakened) spots that he could find.

I used Wilson mags exclusively in my gun but I've had frinds who have used Chip McCormick 9 round mags without a single problem whatsoever.

Anyway, I just have to say again, THOSE GRIPS ROCK!!!! :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Okay, I'm done. :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys!!

HiVelSword, I was thinking about something like that, but to be honest, I haven't even shot it yet... so, I will shoot it first, with some factory stuff, silvertips and my handloads and see how it works out... if I feel the need, might look into something like that.

On a side note, I gave permission to the guy that made those grips to use my pictures, and he did! I am very flattered... check it out!

Punisher Grips on Gunbroker

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Range Report...

Okay, shot about 100 rounds through it today, and am impressed. It really didn't feel any different than shooting my other 1911's with 200 grain +P ammo... maybe slightly more "snappy"...

After initial "getting to know you" shooting with some of my hand loads... I was able to hit a 3" x 5" index card consistantly at 10 yards... that is very good for me!

Rounds shot:
My hand loads:
165 grain going about 1100 fps, very mild.
180 grain going about 1250 fps, not so mild.
Winchester slivertip 175 grain

My hand loads all shot point of aim, the Winchesters all shot high by about 1" at 10 yards.

I had 2 malfunctions... both were failure to feeds, the slide wasn't able to strip the round off and push it into battery. One FTF was with my 180 grain stuff, the other was with the Winchester silvertips. Quick tap rack bang fixed both malfunctions. Both were with the stock 10mm magazine that came with the pistol.

Pleasant suprise, out of grins and giggles I brought along one of my Wilson 47D magazines, and they work FINE with the 10mm stuff! Had no malfunctions at all with those magazines. The 10 round Wilson magazines, however would not work at all, wouldn't hold the rounds in.

All in all, I am very pleased with how this pistol shot, although the grips really didn't feel all that great during shooting, but, that isn't the point really. Everybody at the gun store (I work part time at) got a big laugh out of the grips... I still giggle when I see them!

Great pistol! Needs to be broken in a bit more... now, off to dissasemble and inspect to see if anything "strange" is brewing.... I am guessing not.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Rock it.

You're right. It's just breaking in. Man, I have so much confidence in that Silvertip.

Back in 96 I did a gun segment on Mtv news Unfiltered and they had me do close ups of my Delta Elite and the magazine and the ammo. I shot it in the vid too. Damn, I miss that gun! :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.