1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

I've got a brand new (3 day old) pro-eclipse that is having some failures to eject. The extracted case stovepipes or otherwise gets trapped between the slide and the barrel on it's way out of the gun, often pointed back at me. It always extracts from the barrel; it just doesn't always leave the gun! There have been no other problems.

The 225 rounds total thru the gun have seen 5 FTE's, with failures happening about once every 50 rounds (it's not getting better or worse). It has done this equally with both S&B and Winchester white box 230g fmj. Also, a few cases have hit me in the face; those always had the case mouth crimped severely in two places, like you squeezed it almost shut with wire cutters; I suspect they were almost failures also. Cases that eject properly look fine and have no marks on either the rim or the mouth.

I'm not sure if it's significant, but EVERY ONE of these 5 FTE's has been with a Wilson 8rd mag; the gun has not failed yet with the factory Kimber (looks like a CMC) 8rounder. I've alternated evenly between the 2 mags when shooting, so they've both had the same number of rounds thru.

Is it possible that the wilson mag could be causing or contributing to the ejection failures?

I might exchange the Wilson for another CMC and try it, and send another 200 or so rounds thru it before the gun makes a trip to the factory.

·
Registered
273 Posts
This sounds like the issues I had w/my Kimber ProCDP and Kimber Classic.

Neither pistol worked w/Wilson mags, but never - I mean never - FTF/FTE with CMC PowerMags.

I shot over 3K w/ProCDP and almost 4K w/Classic.

Try www.natchezss.com for best prices on CMC PowerMags (8rds).

Happy Shooting, Thunder25

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
While the site was down (at least I couldn't get in), I fed another 300 rounds thru it, using only the factory mag.

I had 2 more FTE; either the gun is getting more broken in or the wilson mag made it worse, since it was doing it about 1 out of 50 before. I also had lightly polished some roughish spots near the breechface before the range session. I am still getting alot of brass in my face; maybe as many as one in 10 shots clanked into my glasses.

No real pattern as to when it happened, as far as how many rounds still in the mag. I was watching for that, too. Most of the brass ejects nicely, far to the right. Allthough I am new to 1911's, I am suspecting that my slide isn't always cycling back all the way. I'm paying attention to keeping a very firm grip. This gun is pretty tight (but smooth), and the recoil spring feels heavy to me. So I've left the slide locked back for about 24 hours in an attempt to relax the spring somewhat.

I've since gotten 2 new CMC shooting star mags (arrived today), and I'll take one of them along with my original kimber mag shooting tomorrow. If the gun won't go thru a couple of boxes of ammo w/o failure, I think it's taking a trip to Yonkers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts