1911Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my Eclipse Ultra II last week and put 200 rounds through it over the weekend. I'm new to 1911s (this is my first) so I have a few post break-in questions...

1) After shooting, I noticed that the casings left quite a few marks on the indented part of the slight - the concave part right before the barrel exposure. Are these chips in the black oxide finish? Or are they left over brass that can be cleaned up to reveal the finish underneath again?

2) I'm also new to cleaning 1911s and had my first experience with disassembly and cleaning of it the next day. It seems that I was able to clean up most of the dirt, but I noticed that the inside of the slide was still black. To anyone with an Eclipse: is it supposed to be black? Is it part of the finish, or did I just not do a thorough enough job in cleaning it?

3) How thoroughly should I clean it after 200 rounds? Should I go beyond a simple field-strip cleaning? Should I take the magazines apart and clean them thoroughly, or just wipe them down?

Also, anyone happen to have any good links, or book recommendations, on disassembly and/or cleaning of a Kimber 1911 (even better, an Eclipse?)?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
15,298 Posts
The top of this forum has good info including how to take it apart. The FAQ forum at the root of this forum has even more good stuff.

The marks are likely brass and should come off with some Hoppes #9.

Can't comment on the dark part inside the slide you're talking about but I don't think they finish it so it may just need a good cleaning. But even just using CLP or FP-10 you should be able to clean it pretty well or at least see it coming clean and tell whether you need a solvent to really clean it.

Nice gun too. Eclipse was one that was on my radar when I came across my pre-series II HD. The only thing I wasn't crazy about was the black oxide and had already consulted with a smith about bead blasting the exposed black oxide surfaces.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts