1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine used MP7 Gun Oil on the top of his Kimber Eclipse and the black oxide finish started to come off. I called Kimber and they knew nothinbg about this or what may have caused it. Any ideas other then not using MP7 gun oil?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Could be the person you spoke with at Kimber wasn't aware but according to gdurfee @ Kimber's Unofficial Forum "they recommend AGAINST using anything containing ammonia because it may attack the finish.

So, the message is: beware using products like MP-7, Sweets 7.62, or Hoppes #9 Benchrest because they all contain ammonia. What Kimber recommends is Shooter's Choice "Extra CLean" -- it has NO ammonia. I don't know if any of you have any experience with this stuff, but their claim is that it works for powder, copper and lead fouling."

My personal experience:
I've used MPro7 and Break Free CLP on my Pro Eclipse and have had no problems with the finish coming off...

·
Super Moderator
1,862 Posts
If my memory serves me correct one other finish to watch out for when using ammonia based bore cleaners is nickel.

I remember using some "Sweets" bore cleaner on a really cruddy full nickel colt I took in trade and there was a few spots appeared on the frame.

The gun was really dirty and I took the grips off and trip to get some of the years of stuff off the corrosion between the grips and the frame from many years of handling. The finish changed colors. I put Sweets on a q-tip and learned the hard way.

------------------
Be safe and keep the brass flying

Terry Peters
http://www.pt-partners.com

Do your research but you get what you pay for front end or back end.

[This message has been edited by PT-Partners (edited 10-10-2001).]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.