1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused:

I've never owned a Kimber before but am a longtime 1911 fan. A local dealer has an Eclypse II that is marked "Custom Shop". It is used, like new condition and is really beautiful. I can tell that it has been fired very little...it doesn't look like it could have been fired enough to be broken in yet. My question is, is $800 a good price for it, and how can I tell how old it is? I REALLY like the look of the pistol, but was looking more at a TLE until I saw it. Any comments about the value and general comments about how this stacks up against the TLE are appreciated!

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have a Eclipse II Target and have never really been happy with it. I bought it new with adj. night sights for $1000.I have also shot the TLE and I really like it. I do not own one but I would lean more toward it myself.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
I recently took a look at a Kimber Eclipse. The finish is quite stunning, and the fit seemed to be there. I asked to take a look at the gun, and the first thing I noticed was scratch marks all across the slide. This was a display gun, and there was already scratch marks. That is quite unacceptable IMO.

So, maybe the finish scratches easily, maybe it doesn't. I really wanted an Eclipse, but now my eyes have wandered to the Kimber Tactical Custom II.

FYI: I have not fired the Eclipse.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I own an Eclipse Pro II. As nice as the thing looks it has feeding issues with a few of my preferred JHP's (RA45T, Gold Dots, & Golden Sabres). Other than that it feeds FMJ fine as well as the ultra-punchy PowRball (the stuff really does enhance feeding + its a pretty impressive HP).

Finish scratches very easily. Underneath my slide stop there is an arch of scratches from field stripping. Probably my fault since I should have put a "playing card" in that place before putting the slide stop back on. I have a few scratches towards the muzzle that I' m not sure where they came from...

I wanted a smith to look at the feeding issues (using Wilson 7rd and 8rd mags) but since its only a range gun I haven't had the chance...

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have a Custom Eclipse, been shooting it in IDPA a while. It's flawless, best gun I've ever owned. :D I paid exactly $800.00 for mine 3 years ago. That's a good deal and if its anything like mine you won't be sorry.

·
Registered
137 Posts
As nice as the thing looks it has feeding issues with a few of my preferred JHP's (RA45T, Gold Dots, & Golden Sabres)
Problems with a Gold Dot? There almost like ball ammo in shape?

My Eclipse Pro II feeds them perfectly, my carry round.

I bought mine used, $750.00, couple of scratces but it's a carry gun. Finest handgun I own.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts