1911Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 4 weeks ago I purchased a NIB Kimber Custom Eclipse II. After shooting it for the first time, while cleaning it, I noticed a rough unfinished area inside of the barrel. Didn't really seem to affect accuracy but since it wasn't right I sent it back. The bbl was replaced and the gun was promptly sent back to me (total turn around was 72 hrs). Needless to say, I was quite impressed. For about the next 500 rds the gun functions as it was supposed to without a hitch. Last trip to the range I noticed my front sight went dark (really not an issue for the type of shooting I do). After about 100 rds the gun would only fire 1 round then it would "lock up". I'm not sure what was going on, but the trigger wouldn't "reset" correctly. Even though the gun was in battery pulling the trigger did nothing, I had to pull the slide back about 1/4 inch and release it to "reset the trigger". This happened with all of my mags and under no condition could I fire two consecutive shots. Somewhat dissappointed I took my gun home to do a detail cleaning thinking that it may just be some grime in the workings. While cleaning it I noticed a somewhat large chip missing from the recoil lug with another chip that looked about ready to fall out. This really bothered me because I wanted a quality 1911 style firearm that I could rely upon and now I felt that I couldn't trust this gun at the range let alone with my safety. I debated on what to do all last evening as I finished cleaning my gun and reassembling it. This morning I took my Kimber and three other guns I hardly use and traded them in on a Wilson Classic Stainless. I took my new Wilson over to the indoor range and after owning it about 10 minutes and putting about 50 rds through it the slide release snapped in two. Took it to the service counter and they promptly gave me a new slide release all the while telling me how they have never seen a Wilson malfuction with so few shots fired (seems if there's a defect to be found, I'll find it). After that small mishap, the gun functioned flawlessly. Hopefully I now have the 1911 I'm looking for (Guess I'll find that out in the weeks to come). I'm not posting this as a "flame" against Kimber because I know of many people that own Kimber pistols that function exceptionally (a large factor in my initial decision to buy one) and if I were looking to purchase another pistol, I certainly wouldn't overlook Kimber because of my one incident. Evidently I got a lemon and my feeling is "if I can't trust it there's just no sense in owning it".

·
Registered
474 Posts
JRA,
Sounds like you have had a run of bad luck to the extreme. Based on what I have seen on the Wilson Forum, your problem should be taken care of quickly. I would like to hear how it turns out for you when you get your pistol back.

------------------

·
Registered
416 Posts
Sorry to hear about that. Only real problem I have had with my Kimber is the customer service department. They get the gun back quick, but at the expense of being treated rudely.

I had a small chip missing from the rifling of my barrel a while back. Didn't do anything to the performance, but I didn't need a chip missing in the barrel. Sent it back and they fitted it with a ill-machined barrel that contacted the slide at the barrel hood and would cause major wear on the barrel.

The gun turned into exactly what you described, a single shot. Well have a new barrel now, after $70 in shipping charges and it is running very smooth. (They gave me two 7rnd mags to cover the shipping costs,
)They get those guns accurate out of the shop every time.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I hate to hear about terrible experiences. It makes me wonder about Kimber. I don't doubt my Stainless II though. It functioned flawlessly outta tha box.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm sure it was just bad luck because I know quite a few people who swear by their Kimber. I'm sure they produce a quality firearm but I got that one in a thousand (or maybe a million) that comes packed with problems waiting to happen. Like I stated before, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Kimber if (when) I go looking for a new 1911. I also wouldn't tell anyone that's considering buying one, not to. If a Kimber fits your needs and you like it, go for it. I would still have to agree that Kimber produces one of the better guns on the market.

·
Registered
420 Posts
jra, don't buy lottery tickets, I can predict your outcome with certainty.

·
Registered
77 Posts
If you are the top producer of any particular product, percentages will kill you in a forum such as this. More people buy guns, more problems, and when people are unhappy it will show up here, real quick. Then the internet plague starts...."All Kimbers have deffective barrells" and then sh%t rolls down hill.

On the topic, the darn Custom Shop can't miss details, that's why it's the "Custom Shop."

Good luck with the Wilson. I would love to have a new CQB Compact.

·
Registered
259 Posts
My Classic Custom has functioned flawlessly since switching to Wilson mags. If you got a lemon I'm pretty sure you can send it back for replacement.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Bummer!!! Have you thought about a good revolver? LOL Just kidding. I'm sorry to hear of your experiences but I'm glad you posted. It just goes to show that Kimber is not the only company to have problems. The mighty Wilsons do too. I'm a little worried for you though by what they said. "all the while telling me how they have never seen a Wilson malfuction with so few shots fired". That would make me worry about it's long term reliability too! Good luck.

------------------
God Bless America!!

Danny
NRA, NAHC, Buckmasters

1 - 10 of 10 Posts