1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well you know that we can't just leave a 1911 alone!

The gun is a PC HD II

After one week of handling and 3 sessions of famfire.

-Mag rel spring and mainspring replaced w/ lighter Brown units.
-Thumb safety and trigger serrations dehorned with fine file. Now the overall feel is close to perfect.

The gun has gone through 300 rounds of lightly loaded 230 LRN (4.7gr of Titegroup). Flawless!

Also, Kimber promised to mail me a coupla takedown tools.

Gripes:
-That danged 800 round spring life!
-The Kimber mag hangs when ejected. So I leave it at home.

Question: Will ANY aftermarket Officer 22 lb spring work with this gun or do I have to buy Kimber?

·
Premium Member
20,434 Posts
Go with Wolff springs, either direct or thru Brownell's. There is a discount for buying several.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I don't know if this comparison is correct, but what is the spring life in one of the smaller Glock 45's etc? Different design, different spring life, etc?

800 rounds doesn't sound like much to ruin a spring.

·
Registered
22,353 Posts
Glock springs are a flat wire design that puts more spring steel in the same compressed height. So they last a long time. Some SIG-Sauers and H&Ks have them now.

ISMI makes a flat wire spring set for Colt OACP. I think they would get plenty of business if they would do one for Kimber Compact. For a 4" Kimber to take the same recoil spring (according to Wolff) as a 3.5" Colt means to me that the gun is undersprung in the first place.

My FLG has built recoil spring sets for OACPs and the shortened Government Models he prefers to Commanders and Compacts with skinny guide rods for Glock springs. But they are hand made and aren't cheap. I don't know if he has worked out the requirements for a Kimber, though.

Right now, the best thing to do is to buy ten Wolffs at the quantity discount price and figure you are set for the next 8000 rounds or so.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I went ahead and ordered a bunch from Wolff.

Other than the spring issue, I really can't find a serious flaw on this piece. I intend to shoot it alot though so I guess the yearly tab for springs will be substantial.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Good info,

Sounds like ISMI needs to get busy. I suspect there are enough small 1911's out there to warrant the business, although I imagine for many, the smaller 45's are carried a lot and shot little.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts