1911Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone tried to tell me that Kimber is owned by Daewoo Automotive out of Korea and just has the Kimber headquarters in New York. Is that true. I was thinking that Daewoo is just a smaller gun maker that Kimber actually owns or used to own.

What's the truth? Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
Neither is true. The relationship between Daewoo and Kimber ended in 1996. Until then, Kimber had been importing some of Daewoo's products, but was not involved in the manufacturering. And Daewoo was not at all related to Kimbers manufacturing. So neither have ever owned each other, they simply had an importation agreement until 96. Daewoo is a huge manufacturer, and produced lots of firearms that are not imported into the US.

Hope this helps,
-Dan

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. It does. Is it true then that Kimber is an american company.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for straightening out and confirming what I thought. It is funny how misconceptions / rumors take a life of their own with certain people.

·
Registered
378 Posts
American made!!! American owned!!! That was one of the many reasons I got my Kimber Custom Series I. Luckily, I got mine before the Series II came out. :rock:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Heya, I'm new to the forum.

My Dad has a pair of Tactical Custom II's on the way for he and I. What's your issue(s) with the II series? Is it really bad or just a preference thing? I've never actually held a Kimber before, but I've heard great things about them for the most part. I'm pretty hopeful that this one will be a serious keeper. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
378 Posts
ST333 said:

My Dad has a pair of Tactical Custom II's on the way for he and I. What's your issue(s) with the II series? Is it really bad or just a preference thing? I've never actually held a Kimber before, but I've heard great things about them for the most part. I'm pretty hopeful that this one will be a serious keeper. Thanks in advance.
The extra safety parts in a series II gun are more likely to fail or be misfit and cause problems than they would be if they didn't exist (like in a series I gun). I've heard of guns failing to return to battery due to hanging up on poorly fit plungers and seen pics of a plunger than broke rendering the gun useless. If those guns hadn't had those parts, they would have worked. Series II is unnecessary complexity.

·
Registered
125 Posts
ST333 said:

I have kimber tactical II, and the only issue I had with mine was because the ammo I was shooting was manufactured out of spec. That is to say, it wasn't kimber's fault. I love mine, and have just of 900rds through it now. One point for you though, make sure you get plastic followers and springs for any and every mag you stick in that frame. <<<Click Here to read all about it>>>

Good luck, and if you have any questions, let me know.

Wes

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks to you both for the information. I appreciate it since my knowledge is pretty limited as of now. I've been reading around the forum and saw other people posting on the same issues. I don't see either of our guns being put through too much abuse, so hopefully it won't be a problem. I'm just hoping they'll really last with good care. You know....corny Dad-son thing. Thanks again fellas.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts