1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets try this again

Is this NORMAL and can it be a cause of FTF?

Been having problems with the Kimber that I bought used, I am getting FTF about once or twice in every magazine. Tripp. KimPro, Wilson Combat doesn't seem to make any difference and it is happening with reloads and factory 230 FMJ. LRN, Hornady xtp. All the above run smoothly through my Government Colt and Colt Commander series 80 with no problems. I have noticed that I am getting some copper on the magazine catch and not on the other pistols. It that normal? The recoil spring is new with only about 100 or less rounds

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
What exactly is happening? A FTF can be a number of things but you need to provide more information on exactly what the problem is. The bullets shouldn't be hitting the SS for starters.

How is the Slide Stop influencing your FTF problem?

Have you tried substituting Slide Stops from either of your other pistols to possibly eliminate that as an issue?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What exactly is happening? A FTF can be a number of things but you need to provide more information on exactly what the problem is. The bullets shouldn't be hitting the SS for starters.

How is the Slide Stop influencing your FTF problem?

Have you tried substituting Slide Stops from either of your other pistols to possibly eliminate that as an issue?
Cartridge gets jammed partially up ramp and does not enter chamber and go into full battery. Usually happens on #3 or 4

I do not know if the SS is having an influence on the FF problem. I have no clue why I am having the problem. I just noticed that there was no copper markings on the Colts SS. I will try changing the SS with one of them and see if it makes any difference. The feed ramp on the barrel is polished mirror smooth (a lot smoother than either of the 2 Colts) and they eat anything that they get fed

·
Registered
673 Posts
What type of extractor does it have? Internal IE standard 1911 or external like a lot of new production Kimbers, Sigs and S&W's. If it is the older original design internal someone may have tried to "tune" it and got the tention too tight and it is not alowing the case head to slide up behind it. Also if it is clocking (rotating slightly) that can cause jams as well.

Is is a three point jam? Where the nose of the bullet is forced into the uper part of the chamber.

How many rounds does it have through it? Is that 100 or less rounds just on the recoil spring or the gun?

There so many veriables that can play into it it is hard to answer without more details on the gun.

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
I would try and exclude the SS as a factor first. If swapping them around doesn't help it's time to try other possible causes.

Your extractor may have a little too much tension (denying the rim the chance to smoothly ride up under it). Alternately, your Kimbers feedeamp may need some attention in the manner in which the cartrides are guided up towards the barrel hood.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would try and exclude the SS as a factor first. If swapping them around doesn't help it's time to try other possible causes.

Your extractor may have a little too much tension (denying the rim the chance to smoothly ride up under it). Alternately, your Kimbers feedeamp may need some attention in the manner in which the cartrides are guided up towards the barrel hood.
Thank you Sir!!!!! just swapped out the SS from the Colt Commander and burned 3 mags of hollow points without a hick up. Now all I have to do is figure out how to wither fix the old SS or just get a new one for the Colt
Thanks Again!!!!!!!! :)))))

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Pardon my ignorance. SS?

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Slide Stop. Erik, compare the trouble free one to the one causing the FTF's. Plan in a little LIGHT Dremel time. Did I say LIGHT?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Slide Stop. Erik, compare the trouble free one to the one causing the FTF's. Plan in a little LIGHT Dremel time. Did I say LIGHT?[/QUOTE

Dremel's scare the $hit out of me when dealing with 1911's I think a fine file may be better for a cluts like me. I do better working on AK's :)

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Work it with a file and some sandpaper. You'll be good to go in a few minutes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts