1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the slide off.

Now I am stumped by the bull barrel and the FLGR and spring. How do I get the FLGR and spring assy out?

·
Registered
248 Posts
If memory serves you have done it backward. Reinstall the slide. Then lock back the slide and look for a small hole in the guide rod. Bend and cut off a paper clip and bend into a L shape. Insert the L into the hole and then allow the the slide to go forward to where you can remove the slode stop. The slide should then slide off the frame. At this time you can remove the captured spring and guide rod and then remove the barrel.;)

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL, so THAT's what that tiny hole is for. I couldn't find a paper clip beastly enough for the task but a tiny allen wrench held the spring fast.

So I took the whole top off after the allen key op. Still stumped me hehe. Until I pushed on the FLGR and it came off through the back. From there, it was the proverbial piece of cake.

But gee, what an involved way of taking down a gun.

I guess I better go to Lowe's or Home Depot to buy a couple of copies of my tiny allen wrench. One for the range bag and one for the bench.

Thanks Greg!

·
Premium Member
20,302 Posts
If you didn't get a manual, call for one. Be aware that your recoil spring is supposed to be changed every 800 rounds in that pistol.

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
SnWnMe said:

I guess I better go to Lowe's or Home Depot to buy a couple of copies of my tiny allen wrench. One for the range bag and one for the bench.

Thanks Greg!
Or to Office Depot or Staples and get some Heavy Duty Paper Clips and have enough take-down tools for life!

SnWnMe, Husker is also very happy you figured it out before I had to post the .........................."diagram".

;)

·
Premium Member
20,302 Posts
Go ahead, do it. We haven't seen it in a week! :p

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
800 rounds??? You're kidding right? I got the pistol as debt payment from a friend. I wasn't in the market for one but it was too good to turn down. But man, 800 rounds per spring? I guess the saying that "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is" really is true.:hrm:

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I think replacing the spring is needed because of the 4" barrel in the compact models. I ordered two from Kimber and they were $4.95 I think. They are easy to change out.

plunker

·
Registered
303 Posts
You can also check Brownells ( www.brownells.com )for Wolff springs. the Pro Carry and Compact (both 4" barrel models) use officer model springs. I believe that the stock spring is the 22 lb. officers with full length guide rod. I'll be replacing one in the not too distant future myself.

Tim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts