1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello this is my first post. I have been doing a lot of reading lately because I want to buy a 1911 pistol. Right now I have a couple of sig sa/da in .40 caliber. And of course I want a .45 caliber if I want a 1911. I really want a kimber. There are so many models of them. At first I wanted to get one of the ultra carry's with the 3" barrel so I can carry it as my concealed carry. Then I thought 2 more inches on a fullsize pistol shouldn't be that much different to conceal. Right now I am carrry a sig 226 concealed with no much problem. The model I would like to purchase is the kimber custom tle in stainless steal. I would just like to hear you guys comments on this model. Do you think it would be a good model to choose? If not, or if you would like to reccemend some other models please do so.

thank you,
Patrick

·
Premium Member
20,402 Posts
If you can pack a thick 226, you'll have no problem with any size 1911. Go for the longest you're comfortable with for reliability. Welcome to the addiction!

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
The TLE is a nice model and staying with the 5" is a good idea as far as reliability.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I carry the Ultra Raptor and it conceals nice and shoots even better. I've tried to carry one of my full size Kimbers around the house and for me it's just too big. If you can conceal a TLE I'd say go for it but just make sure you it isn't too big. I've bought so many guns over the years that I thought I could carry and they all ended up sitting in the safe. Keep in mind I live in Houston and it's mostly shorts and a tshirt if you live up north I think concealing would be a whole lot easier.

·
Registered
449 Posts
You'd be happy with a TLE...many nice features. I carry a Gold Combat without any issues. The main thing when carrying any full-sized steel 1911 is a high quality holster and an even higher quality gunbelt.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks all for the replies. I think the fullsize 1911 will be easier to carry than the sig, because of it being thinner. Right now I carry the sig 226 in a mtac holster and use a wilderness instructors belt. I would like to get a full leather holster to carry the kimber in. Also probably a nice leather belt. Any good holster recemendations while I wait on a milt sparks order.

·
Premium Member
3,668 Posts
I have a Custom TLE II that I bought new almost two years ago. It isn't stainless, but that was my preference. My TLE has been 100% reliable from the git go and currently has almost 5000 rounds through it.

It's my primary range gun and I also switch between it and my other 1911's for carry.

Another consideration for your choice of a TLE is what's on the Kimber website. The TLE was chosen for duty carry by LAPD SWAT. That should help your decision somewhat.

Also, in the unlikely event that you should wind up sending your TLE back to Kimber, their Customer Service is excellent.

Good luck! :)

·
Registered
449 Posts
I have a Galco Royal Guard IWB with a Galco Contour Belt that works really well for me. IMHO, Galco makes the finest commercial holsters around. They are well made and readily available. If you haven't already ordered your Milt Sparks, try this website. Although a little higher, they may have your holster in stock so you won't have to wait close to 6 months. I too plan on getting a VMII this year but my Galco is more than sufficient so I believe that's why I'm in no hurry.

http://www.lightningarms.com/products.htm

You can also try this place for belts. Although I don't have any first hand experience with them, I've heard a lot of good things about them. FWIW, I'd get a belt the was 1 1/2" wide. That's what I liked about the Galco Contour Belt, it's 1 1/2" wide yet tapers down to 1 1/4" by the buckle so it looks a little more "dressier" and not so much like a gun belt. Of course, the Wilderness belt you already have will serve you fine too.

http://www.thebeltman.net/

Hope this helps some.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks again.........I will check the place for the holster.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts