1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else heard that Kimber supplied a bunch of custom pistols to Force Recon called the ICQB? I guess they are training with them for the time being until testing is done to find a new MEU/SOC 1911...

What's the scoop? I heard Wilson Combat, Kimber USA, Springer, Les Baer, and a few other (not named) are trying for the MEU/SOC contract. I don't know the story so if anyone else does please share, thanks! :cool:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Force Recon

I just saw an article today,was browsing the magazines at Hastings, and saw an article (either in Small Arms Review or S.W.A.T. or something out this mnth) that had an article of several pages on the Kimber that Force Recon was using.

looked really good, even discussed the Safariland tac holster they are using with the mounted light.

as side story said something about the Springfield as a back up...not sure if it was the Custom or Loaded or whatnot...

didn't buy the mag...sorry...

KEN B
North Texas

·
Registered
255 Posts
Search

Gentlemen,
The article was in the Dec 03 issue of SWAT Magazine.
Nowehere in the article did it say anything about the Kimber being used by Force Reconnaissance.

Lumpy is correct. Using the search feature will bring up a lot of information regarding this pistol.
If you have a specific question regarding the MEU(SOC) or Kimber ICQB, contact me here or on Tac Forums and i'll be happy to direct you to a source of information.

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Kimber's Interim Close Quarters Combat Pistol (ICQB PISTOL)

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to give the wrong info.

I bought the article and I was wrong. It didn't say anything about Force Recon. I saw the pistol marked "U.S. Military Property USMC" and put 2+5 together and got 12!

It said on pg 54 that the pistols were "delivered to the Det in time for the requisite training". The pistol in the pic on page 53 looks really good though, and I like the Strider grips they are using in Coyote brown.

I guess i'm not up on current affairs, I had not heard of the Marine Corps Special Operations Command Detachment 1 (DET1)
Would this not be supplied with operators from the Force Recon community?

not meaning to hijack the thread, cool looking Kimber though.

Ken B
North Texas

·
Registered
255 Posts
Thanks for the reply Ken- i thought perhaps the magazine didn't print what i wrote....(Note to editor...Sorry!)

There are Force Marines and Sailors in the Det, but also a plethora of support and specialized skills guys.

It is a pretty cool looking pistol, but more importantly it works...

·
Registered
7 Posts
just saw your name on the article, Mr. Rogers :) sorry about not seeing that.

So not trying to have secrets divulged, but in what capacity does the Det operate? Being combined Navy/USMC..i was curious as to what mission the Det is entrusted with. If this firearm is an interim, I was curious as to why it doesn't fit the specs on the contract for the MEU(SOC). I've searched this afternoon, but can't find any info on the contract that I an compare/contrast.

Great article! I like sitting down to read something and finding it all out, without any grey area there. I esp liked the photos and the history of the ICQB..makes me think of drifted back over from the "G" area of pistols...( G-L-O...don't hit me ..please)

again, apologies for throwing mis-information.

Ken B
North Texas

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just read the article at the local barnes & noble - very informative, and sorry for posting an incorrect title - it was hearsay from someone else so... u know how that goes!

I wonder why Kimber is pushing so much in trying to sell their 1911's to Spec Ops, LE, etc...

·
Premium Member
20,302 Posts
ol1911 said:
I wonder why Kimber is pushing so much in trying to sell their 1911's to Spec Ops, LE, etc...
Because whenever a new "tactical" model is accepted by the military or special units, every Sidewalk Commando in the world rushes out to buy the civilian version.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Ken B said:
just saw your name on the article, Mr. Rogers :) sorry about not seeing that.

So not trying to have secrets divulged, but in what capacity does the Det operate? Being combined Navy/USMC..i was curious as to what mission the Det is entrusted with. If this firearm is an interim, I was curious as to why it doesn't fit the specs on the contract for the MEU(SOC). I've searched this afternoon, but can't find any info on the contract that I an compare/contrast.

Great article! I like sitting down to read something and finding it all out, without any grey area there. I esp liked the photos and the history of the ICQB..makes me think of drifted back over from the "G" area of pistols...( G-L-O...don't hit me ..please)

again, apologies for throwing mis-information.

Ken B
North Texas
Ken- Mr. Rogers was my Dad- please call me Pat.

The Marine Corps is part of the department of the Navy. Sailors are attached to most all Marine Corps units. In the case of the Force Reconnaissance Community and the Det, they are Special Amphibious reconnaissance Corpsman (SARC) who are Very Good. There are only a few in the system though. Additionally, Force has a Master Diver and a Dive Medical Officer attached.

I spec'd the Kimber to be as close as possibile to the MEU(SOC) RFI, though without the threaded barrel (gimme' a break...)
There was no contract as the ICQB met an Urgent and Compelling req.
Their is no contract for the new MEU(SOC) as none has been slected- only an RFI.
The mission of the Det is available through some open source documents. I cannot further comment.

Thank you all for the kind words about the article.

Note that Kimber did not "push" anyone on this pistol. Read the article- we went to them, not the other way around...

·
Registered
255 Posts
I'm kinda' confused here guys. Why are you down on a company- in this case Kimber- that ponied right up and accepted work to put good guns in the hands of those who are going out to kill our enemies?

Are you concerned that they make a profit? Sell similar guns to others??
Good grief- in earlier postings some were complaining that Kimber would not sell them an exact dupe of the ICQB- that being a series 1 gun.

We are a capitalist society. The other guys- the communists- lost that fight. Making money is how companies stay in business. More competition means better products and at competitive prices.

There is a faily large market in military type guns. Are you complaining about that, or the fact that Kimber stands to profit from it.

Pat sends, confused....

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts
Pat,

I was alluding to the fact that military-type contracts are hugley profitable, generating dollars even in the private sector. This is a great thing. I am quite sure that Tracy was getting at the same point. I cannot speak for others.

I apologize if I was part to any miscommunication.

Damian

·
Premium Member
20,302 Posts
Absolutely. Take for example your highly regarded threads, Pat. Folks follow your writings like a cult. Anytime a greatly respected authority shows pleasure in a product, the masses follow. My only complaint in Kimber's style is giving you the choice of skipping their FPS, but not the rest of us. I'm certainly not meaning to give you any disrespect. Keep up the great work!
Tracy

·
Registered
255 Posts
My apologies

Thanks for the swift replies- my confusion is now a thing of the past.

On this matter anyway..

I agree about the Series 1 issue. I wish that Kimber would follow the other makers on this. That is however, way out of my pay grade.

Thanks!

·
Banned
802 Posts
All things being equal..........

Pat;

We've become a society of conspiracy theorists.

ol1911; the U.S.M.C. approached Kimber for a pistol that would meet an urgent requirement for a weapon they needed within a short period of time. Kimber stepped up to the plate and hit a home run for the guys that defend our liberty.

It's as simple as that.

·
Banned
597 Posts
So, and somebody correct me if I'm wrong, 'cause all these accronyms are confusing to this civillian....

It's a standard Kimber Custom (series I) with a lanyard loop and a proper guide rod?

Edit:
Interesting that a google search for kimber icqb brings up nothing.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Us sidewalk commandos are out of luck, Kimber has no plans of offering a civi version of the MARSOC ICQB .45 like they did with the TLE and the LAPD unfortunately. As far as $ goes, this seems like poor decision to not sell it to the public. I got this info from Kimber customer service and who knows, they may still do it.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Matteblack- the reason for this is simple- the LAPD were Series 2. The ICQB is Series 1. Kimber will not (as of now) sell Series 1 guns to the public.

You can do this yourself though. The magazine article has the complete list of changes, and none are difficult to accomplish.
Buy a Classic Custom and have at it, if you are that enthused...

1 - 20 of 74 Posts