1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are very lucky to have a company that builds a 1911 pistol with all of the features it does for an affordable price. I have been in law enforcement since the mid 1970's and have owned quite a few 1911's including Colt and even parts guns on Essex frames. I took the plunge and went into debt and boought one of the custom guns from a big name maker. What a disappointment, gun would not shoot to point of aim. I had several good shooters try it and they had the same results. I called the builder and he offered to have me ship the gun back (my expense) and he would move the sights. Well, reckon what I had tried first myself!!! Both Kimbers I have owned shot great right from the start and I have never had a malfunction other than magazine induced in either gun. So I say Good Job Kimber!

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Good post van45!!!

What model of Kimbers do you have???? I've read an article on " The SightM1911, in the subforum of " Review ". A certain deputy Wood tried the other brands of 1911 but had issues with them.

Then he tried the basic Kimber Custom II and became a believer too. On my own, I really like that Kimbers products are tighter in the frame and slide fit than most brands, are American made, not to mention the fact that they are gorgeous to look at. I don't have any Kimber myself and doing lots of researching here and reading.

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Kimber does have very good fitment, better than a lot of production pistols. My only complaint is the finish is not the greatest, but to be honest I would rather them put the time and money into fitment.

I would also be happy with a better selection of Swartless models :)

Since I'm dreaming how about a model or 2 without front cocking serrations.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Most everyone's ideas that I've picked on would prefer a Kimber without the swartz safety. BUT living as we do here in California, it is really just wishful thinking:)

Having said that, Kimber does sell tons of handguns in this state, in fact more than ALL the other brands COMBINED. To be sure and honest, there are a sprinkling here and there of other brands other than Kimber, Springfield Armory being the second most dominant.

Still, in general, most of those who bought Kimbers that I talked to almost all have a positive report on their guns, and because of these I would like to add one to my small and very modest collection of 1911s. My only quandary is to choose which model would best meet my needs based on my budget.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a Eclipse Custom II. I can't tell that the drop saftey makes that much difference to me. The trigger pull is plenty good for a combat handgun. I can't see good enough anymore to shoot for groups at 25 yards, just try to keep them on the target.

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
I have a Eclipse Custom II. I can't tell that the drop saftey makes that much difference to me. The trigger pull is plenty good for a combat handgun. I can't see good enough anymore to shoot for groups at 25 yards, just try to keep them on the target.
It is not the trigger pull most people complain about. It is the fact that you complicate the ignition system, there are other ways to make a 1911 'drop safe'.

In rare cases you can get a click when you want a bang if the FP block fails to disengage. The swartz has also been known to cause light strikes when the timing is off, caused by not fully disengaging from the FP.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Kimber does have very good fitment, better than a lot of production pistols. My only complaint is the finish is not the greatest, but to be honest I would rather them put the time and money into fitment.

I would also be happy with a better selection of Swartless models :)

Since I'm dreaming how about a model or 2 without front cocking serrations.
"Fitment"? No offense, but I don't think "fitment" is a word.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
fitment [ˈfɪtmənt]
n
1. (Engineering / Mechanical Engineering) Machinery an accessory attached to an assembly of parts
2. (Fine Arts & Visual Arts / Furniture) Chiefly Brit a detachable part of the furnishings of a room

"Fitment"? No offense, but I don't think "fitment" is a word.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts