1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the very few thingls I find irksome about my Kimber Custom is the need to depress the mag release to insert a mag. I am using Wilson mags and have seen this 'feature' on every Kimber I have put my hands on.

Can this be remedied by replacing the mag release with a suitable Wilson replacement?

·
Registered
352 Posts
I have a Custom CDP and an Ultra Eclipse. I don't need to depress the mag release to insert a mag. By the way, I also use Wilson mags. Perhaps you are being too gentle with your Kimber.

------------------
"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you."-- Benjamin Franklin

·
Registered
210 Posts
I was just examining my new Pro CDP with its new Wilson mags, and noticing the same thing....except that I automatically assumed that it was a break-in issue.

I'll post a report after I run a couple hundred rounds through it tomorrow, I'm hoping it will have loosened up a bit by then.

/TCP

·
Registered
47 Posts
i thought the same thing about my Eclipse...but once you load the magazine and insert it a few times...you'll see that it is just tight from the factory.

·
Registered
697 Posts
When I got Wilsons for my Ultra Carry, I noticed that the first time I inserted them I had to give the mags a fairly hard slap to get them to lock in place. Thereafter, they inserted easily.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I noticed the same thing with my Tac Custom II yesterday at the range. You had to give the magazine some force to get it to lock in. But last night after I cleaned and lubed it, that problem went away. Just ordered some Wilson mags, so I'll let you all know if there's any noticable difference.

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
Noticed the same with my TLE II. I can snap the mag in with a "good" :hrm: hard shove, but it is definately a touch on the tough side compared to my
other 1911, a S&W.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Smack it in

When I slap that mag into the mag well and pop that baby with my hand the slide releases. My wife CAN NOT get it to work for her but it works for me just fine - dont know other than smacking the #$%@ out of it. My momma always told me to be careful, she said I dont realize how heavy of a hand I really have :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Kimber mag releases

FYI I have four 2004 purchase Kimber 1911s and all will accept a magazine shoved in the mag well without depressing the mag release.

best wishes,

Tim

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
This is common with some mags and some mag releases. I would suggest reshaping the mag catch and deburring the mags to allow the mags to insert easier. You may need to go to a lighter mag catch spring, but that would be an absolute last resort. I didn't have to, but I did extensively reshape/polish my mag catch and deburred my mags where they were catching.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have never had to depress the mag. release to seat a mag. but after my Eclipse was well broken in it was still very had to release a magazine. One night while watching t.v I depressed and released the button about 1000 times. Works much more smoothly now.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Working on it.

I am working on it right now. I put my slide stop in my machien shop and put a 0.010 dimple with a oval downward reeming, it seems to work very well. I might be able to go another 0.005" and get it just right. It seems to be working good but with factory ammo it still "RARELY" pops up on the second to last round albeit not every single clip now. Just twice through 400 rounds tonight.

So onto the mag issue. I THINK that my mag spring might need replacing, I also deburred everything tonight and cleaned and lubed everything well. Every time I shoot the gun I break it down completely and as I am with my OCD I clean it spotless lol.

I am going to closely examine the process, it's a shame I cant fit my high speed camera over the chamber to see in there while its shooting- sorry the geek comes out every now and again.

One thing I am noticing is that my reloads are shooting and functioning the gun MUCH better than factory FMJ crap. i shoot SWC 200gr. lead using a charge from 3.6 - 4.8 gr. of WST depending on what I am doing. I have not had a single malfunction with ANY of my reloads and this is my true first batch of reloads in bulk that I have done thus far.

I am impressed with Dillion and also my Kimber.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts