1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a Kimber Custom, and a couple of people have told me that the one problem I may have is with the magazine; easily fixed by getting better magazines. I know a lot of you own or have owned Kimbers, so please let me know if this is true. If so, which make of magazine should I get that will be reliable and not cost an arm and a leg (reliability is more important than price)?

·
Registered
63 Posts
FWIW:
A Mec-Gar came with my Custom Target. I took the bait and tried all the "name" mags, The ones I've come back to have been Mec-Gars, stainless with base pad. Now have 5. Never a glitch, hang up. I have have had feeding problems (usually the last round) with Wilsons, and McCormicks, both 7 & 8 rds.

Try them all, stay with the one that works in your gun!!

·
Administrator
72,095 Posts
Wilsons are the best. Last-round feeding problems can often be caused by the slide stop tab interfering with the round as it tries to go up the feed ramp.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have two Kimbers, two McCormick Shooting Stars, and two Wilsons. The Wilsons are obviously constructed better, but all work in my Pro Carry without any problems.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, you've eased my mind considerably. I guess I'll try with the factory mag for a while before I buy any additional.

·
Registered
207 Posts
The mag that came with my Kimber works perfectly fine. No problems. If anything I heard that Kimbers have problems with being unfinished, but I haven't had a problem yet.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
The mags with my Custom and the Pro Carry are just fine. Never a problem... I do have Wilson 47D's and McCormick Power Mags. They work too!

Shoot 'em and enjoy.

·
Registered
307 Posts
The one mag I got with my Kimber was okay but I bought 3 Wilson's and sold the original mag at a gun show. It never gave me any trouble but it didn't give me a warm feeling either, as I couldn't identify who made it. So I just removed the doubt factor.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Dumb Question Time....

OK, I just purchased a Kimber Pro CDP and several Wilson Combat mags, which I love.

So I'm detail stripping & cleaning my new toy, and the Wilson mags are super user-friendly.

How the HELL do I get my Kimber mag apart? I've been poking at it for 20 minutes....

Thanks,

/TCP

·
Registered
379 Posts
I have a Kimber compact. It came with a MecGar. I had feeding problems, bought two McCormick Shooting Stars, still had problems. It was a used gun. It went back to Kimber and no problems since with either type of mag or several brands and styles of bullets. I picked up 2 more McCormicks and don't see paying $25plus for the Wilson.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have never had any problem with the magazines that came with my Kimber. I also have had no problems with the ones that came with my Springfield. That being said, I always carry with Wilson magazines.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Baer, Mec-Gar, and McCormick Power Mags (trying to decide if Mec-Gar makes Powers for McC). No problems with any of these, except one Baer that was defective and immediately replaced by Baer. Did have problems with regular McC's, but have a good friend who has had no problems with them.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have three Kimber mags that I use . . . one blue, two SS. Never had a problem. I'll stay with the Kimber mags unless/until I encounter a problem. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

·
Registered
354 Posts
Hey Robb,

Thanks! I've been shooting 1911s for a long time now and I've never figured out how to do that so easily! I feel dumb, but gratified to know how to do so easily now! I've cut my fingers multiple times getting the follower out of the mag...

Better late than never, I guess.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
A Mec-Gar Stainless with the removable base came with my Custom Stainless Target... It works fine, but I started using Wilson's back in the early 80's, and have yet to find anything that comes close...

Anyway, this belong's in the Mag forum, so it's being moved there...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.