1911Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Kimber Custom, and a couple of people have told me that the one problem I may have is with the magazine; easily fixed by getting better magazines. I know a lot of you own or have owned Kimbers, so please let me know if this is true. If so, which make of magazine should I get that will be reliable and not cost an arm and a leg (reliability is more important than price)?

·
Registered
63 Posts
FWIW:
A Mec-Gar came with my Custom Target. I took the bait and tried all the "name" mags, The ones I've come back to have been Mec-Gars, stainless with base pad. Now have 5. Never a glitch, hang up. I have have had feeding problems (usually the last round) with Wilsons, and McCormicks, both 7 & 8 rds.

Try them all, stay with the one that works in your gun!!

·
Administrator
75,445 Posts
Wilsons are the best. Last-round feeding problems can often be caused by the slide stop tab interfering with the round as it tries to go up the feed ramp.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have two Kimbers, two McCormick Shooting Stars, and two Wilsons. The Wilsons are obviously constructed better, but all work in my Pro Carry without any problems.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, you've eased my mind considerably. I guess I'll try with the factory mag for a while before I buy any additional.

·
Registered
207 Posts
The mag that came with my Kimber works perfectly fine. No problems. If anything I heard that Kimbers have problems with being unfinished, but I haven't had a problem yet.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
The mags with my Custom and the Pro Carry are just fine. Never a problem... I do have Wilson 47D's and McCormick Power Mags. They work too!

Shoot 'em and enjoy.

·
Registered
307 Posts
The one mag I got with my Kimber was okay but I bought 3 Wilson's and sold the original mag at a gun show. It never gave me any trouble but it didn't give me a warm feeling either, as I couldn't identify who made it. So I just removed the doubt factor.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Dumb Question Time....

OK, I just purchased a Kimber Pro CDP and several Wilson Combat mags, which I love.

So I'm detail stripping & cleaning my new toy, and the Wilson mags are super user-friendly.

How the HELL do I get my Kimber mag apart? I've been poking at it for 20 minutes....

Thanks,

/TCP

·
Registered
379 Posts
I have a Kimber compact. It came with a MecGar. I had feeding problems, bought two McCormick Shooting Stars, still had problems. It was a used gun. It went back to Kimber and no problems since with either type of mag or several brands and styles of bullets. I picked up 2 more McCormicks and don't see paying $25plus for the Wilson.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have never had any problem with the magazines that came with my Kimber. I also have had no problems with the ones that came with my Springfield. That being said, I always carry with Wilson magazines.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Baer, Mec-Gar, and McCormick Power Mags (trying to decide if Mec-Gar makes Powers for McC). No problems with any of these, except one Baer that was defective and immediately replaced by Baer. Did have problems with regular McC's, but have a good friend who has had no problems with them.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have three Kimber mags that I use . . . one blue, two SS. Never had a problem. I'll stay with the Kimber mags unless/until I encounter a problem. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

·
Registered
354 Posts
Hey Robb,

Thanks! I've been shooting 1911s for a long time now and I've never figured out how to do that so easily! I feel dumb, but gratified to know how to do so easily now! I've cut my fingers multiple times getting the follower out of the mag...

Better late than never, I guess.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
A Mec-Gar Stainless with the removable base came with my Custom Stainless Target... It works fine, but I started using Wilson's back in the early 80's, and have yet to find anything that comes close...

Anyway, this belong's in the Mag forum, so it's being moved there...

·
Registered
210 Posts
THANKS TO ROBB

Robb,

Thanks for the advice. See, I'm a newbie to the Kimber (and 1911) world, and have always had mags with removable baseplates. The traditional 1911 mags are new to me.

Thanks again for the help, you made it easy!

/TCP

·
Registered
9,203 Posts
Now that you have the magazine apart, how are you going to put it back together again?

Did you look to see which way the spring was facing?

Replace the spring with the short leg up facing the front of the magazine.

Depress the spring with a suitable tool so it is below one of the lower witness holes.

Insert your "hold the spring" tool.

Drop in the follower, making sure that the leg is behind the spring.

Holding tension on the follower and spring, remove the pin.

Allow the follower to slowly move to teh feed lips.

Check to make sure the short leg of the spring is seated correctly.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
MOLON LABE
Leonidas c 480 BC
FFF

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hey JimV,

Thanks for the hints. The assembly part was easy (hey, years of wrenching on cars helps once in a while) once Robb helped me get it apart.

Love the forum, you guys are a great source of knowledge!

/TCP

1 - 18 of 18 Posts