1911Forum banner

Kimber mags - your opinion

2293 Views 35 Replies 26 Participants Last post by  NoPtty4TheMasse
What are your opinions on and experiences with Kimber mags? My Target Match came with one 8 round blued magazine and I bought one of the Kim-Pro Pro-Tac magazines when I first shot the pistol. Both work flawlessly so far. However, I do see threads in which people say Kimber mags are junk for various reasons. Does anyone have any experience with the new Pro-Tac mags? What are your experiences with standard Kimber mags? Thanks in advance.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
129 Posts
I have a Kimber Compact CDP with 3 factory 7 round mags. They have been flawless so far (approx. 1200 rounds) the only mod. I made was to switch the metal follower with Wilson Combat plastic follower and accompanying springs. I've heard of, and seen photos on this forum, about the metal followers marring the feed ramp. I did not want to damage my new gun...The only downfall is that the Wilson followers reduced the mag capacity to 6 rounds

· Registered
502 Posts
In my experience (I've owned 4 Kimbers) the Kimber magazines are poor. All of my magazines offer more resistance than necessary while loading and made my pistols unreliable.

I've been a long time fan of Wilson magazines. Load (and use) a Wilson and Kimber magazine side by side and there is no comparison.

Just my 2 cents worth.

· Registered
502 Posts
milkbone said:
I have a Kimber Compact CDP with 3 factory 7 round mags. They have been flawless so far (approx. 1200 rounds) the only mod. I made was to switch the metal follower with Wilson Combat plastic follower and accompanying springs. I've heard of, and seen photos on this forum, about the metal followers marring the feed ramp. I did not want to damage my new gun...The only downfall is that the Wilson followers reduced the mag capacity to 6 rounds
So basically, you retrofitted your Kimber magazines with Wilson guts, so you can't say your Kimber magazines have been flawless :p

· Registered
735 Posts
On a defensive gun "CCW" mag's are to
important to use less than great quality
mag's. Kimber mag's are "O.K." and that is
it, I use them for the range only and not
for carrying. When carrying I use either
Wilson or Tripp Cobra mag's. The Pro-Tac
mag's are what should be in the Kimber's
already If you ask me.

Internal extractor and the Pro-Tac mag's
in new Kimber's would eliminate alot of
Kimber problem's such as FTF and FTE.
It look's as if the IE's are back and it is
just 1 mag that comes with a Kimber
anyway so replacing with a Wilson or
Tripp is not a big deal.

CG.

· Registered
178 Posts
I bought 2 Kimber 8 rds and they work great. I actually tried my friends various mags and all seem to work well with my gun. I got a proper kimber cuz its never jammed or had any problems yet. I got 5 47Ds coming and one extra kimber mag on the way. I love this gun and I will never sell it.

· Registered
46 Posts
With My Cdp

My UC CDP II came with 2 Kimber SS mags. I eventually bought 4 more of the same. I switched the "guts"( spring and follower) to the Wilson brand. If I had it to do again I would just buy the Wilsons. I took all the sharp edges off the feed lips and keep the mags very clean.I have 6 total cuz I rotate them every 2 weeks.At the same time I clean and relube my weapon. This Kimber is on my hip 16/7. The weapon/mags has NEVER failed to work properly. Would/do bet my life on it every day.---------

· Registered
129 Posts
CPTBeaker said:
So basically, you retrofitted your Kimber magazines with Wilson guts, so you can't say your Kimber magazines have been flawless :p

I never fired the weapon with the original Kimber mags. I installed the plastic follower prior to shooting due to the potential damage that the metal followers could do.

· Registered
51 Posts
Kimber ProTac Mags

I had trouble with the factory Kimber Mag supplied with my TLE/RL II. I bought several Kimber Pro Tac 7 rounders, and they have performed flawlessly. Several Mec-Gar 8 rounders that I had laying around also worked well. If you have any buddies with 1911's, try their mags in your Kimber to see how they work before investing $30.00 each in unproven mags. Just a suggestion.

· Registered
46 Posts
Kimber ??

We also need to remember that Kimber doesn't make their own mags. I have heard who makes them,IIRC it's either ProMag or MecGar. I have a friend that has several Kimbers and he uses the origional Kimber(stamped) mags with a couple of them and seems to have no problems. My CDP was my first expierence with a Kimber brand weapon. I heard horror stories ref. their mags. That is why I (almost) immediately went to the Wilson guts. The CDP is strickly used for CC(not target or competition). It has about 1100 rds through it. It is not shot more than 50 or so rds at a time. Then cleaned and put back on my belt. I'm not sure if this makes me any kind of authority on Kimbers. Just relateing my expierances. Will buy another Kimber to compete with in the near future to replace my very old and tired Colt Series 70.---------

· Banned
315 Posts
sprg03-A3 said:
I think I have seen somewhere on one of these forums that Kimber had made a change in their followers, I think adding a skirt. Does anyone know anything about this? How about the Pro-Tac mags?
The new Kimber Kim-Pro Tac-Mags are the ones that have the skirts. You can see it ever-so-slightly in their press release photo:

· Registered
178 Posts
I noticed on the 2 8 rd mags I bought they have that metal skirt that extends into the mag. My factory issued 7 rd mag that came with my TLE doesnt have it.... I wish I could take a pic to show the difference but I dont have the gun with me in the states.

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
PUREVIL said:
I noticed on the 2 8 rd mags I bought they have that metal skirt that extends into the mag. My factory issued 7 rd mag that came with my TLE doesnt have it.... I wish I could take a pic to show the difference but I dont have the gun with me in the states.
My factory 8 round mag also has the skirt. It has also performed flawlessly.

· Registered
1,471 Posts
I now have six Kimber 7round mags that work flawlessly. One that came with my TLE, and 5 that I got "for free" because the owners claimed they were POS...

:rock: :rock:

· Registered
1,002 Posts
SAW MAN said:
The CDP is strickly used for CC(not target or competition). It has about 1100 rds through it. It is not shot more than 50 or so rds at a time.

You must live in a dangerous area!! Your gun has 1100 round through it and is used strictly for defense purposes!!! I would suggest moving somewhere else. :biglaugh:

Luke

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.