1911Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this thread, so I need to figure out how to post this...

I'm an IDPA shooter and use a stainless Kimber Classic. At last week's club match, I had a malfunction that I thought was a random incident... the slide catch slipped out of the frame just about a 1/4 inch during a string of fire. My first indication of trouble was when the slide did not lock back after the last round was fired. I quickly pushed the slide catch back in place and continued with the match.

But today, I went to the range to practice for the upcoming classifire and this time on my second round, the slide catch ejected completely from the gun. Being in ankle deep grass, it took me and a few friends a little while to find the little bugger.

After replacing it in the gun, the slide catch again slipped out and fell onto the ground. On the fourth or fifth shot after reinstalling it, the catch again slipped out 1/4 inch, but by this time, I was spending more time watching the slide catch than I was watching my front sight.

Anyone here have that problem before? or at least... have a solution? Someone said it might be that the barrel link is getting a little worn. I shoot about 3000 rounds a year and the gun is about three years old.

Oh, I don't know if this is relevent, but I replaced ALL the springs (incl the detent spring... the one that rides against the thumb safety and slide catch) a few months ago with a spring package from Wilsons Combat, but the gun has worked fine for the past several months, but this problem has just started...

Again, any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks
:( :(

·
Registered
33 Posts
Crazy!

You might try posting on this problem on pistolsmith.com. Maybe someone has experienced this too.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I've heard for some left handed shooters that use the "thumb over thumb" or two thumbs forward locked grip .... that the right hand thumb will rest on the slide release and pushes against it....as the slide travels backward...they actually push the slide release out.

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
Check the tension on the plunger spring you replaced and make sure the plunger that hits the slide stop is extended against the slide stop. It sounds like the spring is too weak or it isn't making contact with the slide stop. Make sure the plunger on the slide stop side is sticking out and it engages the stop. That spring should also have a "dogleg" in the middle of it to keep it in the plunger tube.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
There is only one spot in the slide's travel where an undamaged slide stop could come out of the pistol, at the disassembly notch, as the tab on the inside of the slide stop should bear against the inside edge of the slide in all other positions.

If it can move in and out with the slide fully closed, the slide stop itself is likely broken.

Try a new slide stop, or at least compare yours to a new one to see if it is broken.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I'm thinking what AFMan said. It should be pretty obvious if your slide stop is broken, especially when compared to a new one.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Taking the advice of several of the posts here, I checked the detent spring to ensure that it was pushing against the slide catch (it was) AND I also swapped the slide catch with the one in my Kimber Ultra Carry. Then I went back out to the range again today. It still malfunctioned, only this time it was a misfeed. The slide catch was keeping the next round in the mag from coming up and feeding into the chamber. It turns out that it was the 'next round' that was pushing the slide catch out. The pressure from the next round would shove the slide catch out enough that when it slide past the disassembly notch, the slide catch would slip out. Soooo, I switched mags... from the Wilson mags that I normally use, to some old ShootingStart mags that I had down in the bottom of my range bag, and the gun functioned perfectly (I ran another 120 - 130 rounds through it with no problems).

So the problem appears to be with the mags having slowly expanded out of shape. I had mentioned this problem to the IDPA match director for Palmetto Gun Club (a 1911 master shooter & gun-tinkerer extrordinare) and he said for me to stop by his place on my way home testing it at the range. When I told him that I thought it was the mags, he put a dial micrometer on my mags and on some of his and immediately saw the difference. He and I spent an hour or disassembling the mags and bending them back into proper shape. I'll try to get over to the range sometime during the week (before next week end's match) and see if that solved the problem. Thanks for everyone's input. I'll let y'all know if that did the trick. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Back from the range... it does appear that the mags were the problem. After sorting out my eight or nine mags, I now have six that are reliable (after putting a min of 50 rounds through EACH of them with out failure... and stopping by the gunshop on the way home, I purchased two new Wilson mags to replace the FUBAR'd mags. So I'm back up to having 8 mags I can rely on.

All is well in Kimber-land!

Thanks folks for your input.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts