1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Considering a Kimber Pro Carry stainless but have read some mixed reviews.
Just wondering if any members have any experiences good or bad with with this gun.
The shop is selling this like new with Crimson Trace grips for $800.
I currently own a couple of full size Springfield Armory 1911A1 models and a Sig P220 and have been very happy with them. Love the 45.
Carry not an issue as I live in the great state of Maryland a carry permit just isn't going to happen.
Thank in advance for your inputs.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I have never had a problem with mine with over a 1,000 rounds it's been flawless. Sounds like a good deal with the grips. Is it a pre series II ?

·
Registered
545 Posts
I have a Kimber Stainless Pro Carry II, Custom Shop PRO CDP II and a Stainless ULTRA Carry II. The Ultra has the dreaded external extractor. The others have internal.

All three shoot fantastic. I opted to fix the external extractor issue on the Ultra myself instead of messing with Kimber and it works flawlessly now 100%.

Kimber makes great guns....but as with anything mass produced, you may get one that has a few hiccups. You take that chance with any manufacturer, not just Kimber.

If you like the gun, buy it. It will either work or it won't. You can either fix it yourself or send it back to them. All of this is again the same with all manufacturers.

I paid 700.00 for my Pro Carry II, used, like new. Your price of 800 with the CT grips is a good deal if you like the Laser. The Pro Carry II is quite similar to the Custom Shop Pro CDP and costs less (900+ used).

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Check that thing out CAREFULLY. The CT grips are almost $300 new so that would put the gun at $500. Humm.

I have the Pro Carry and Pro Carry-HD (SS frame). I like them both very much. My only complaint is not having the night sights (didn't realize how nice those are, until after I had the Pro(s). At the price on that gun you can afford to have Kimber put the night sights on for you.

I have yet to have a hick-up or failure with any of my Pro(s). A friend has the same set and has had nothing but problems - HOWEVER, I can shoot his with ZERO problems (I think they call that user error :biglaugh: ).

Where did you say you live, in case you don't buy it?

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
I'll even bet you get the same answers here that you'll get in the Kimber forum.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I paid slightly more than 1,000 for a new one with the CT grips. I had a few hiccups until I replaced the recoil spring with a Wolf XP spring but the thing is deadly accurate. After the new spring, no problems at all.

I could not agree more with Pat. Get the Mepro night sights. They are nice and the all black is hard to use in dim light or with a black target. Plus, the lasers are zeroed in at 25 yards (I think) so unless you want to screw around with that at shorter distances the night sights are superior.

Eric

·
Registered
545 Posts
I responded in the Kimber Forum

Check out my answer in the Kimber Forum.

·
Registered
545 Posts
My only complaint is not having the night sights (didn't realize how nice those are, until after I had the Pro(s).
My Pro Carry II (used) came with the Night Sights on it. You could get them either way New.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
If it has the external extractor I would pass on it. I hear they will replace the slides, but they didn't mine. They sent it back with the same failure to extract problems. I'll never buy a Kimber again unless I can test fire it first or it's an older pre-series II.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Gary,

You can fix it yourself......

It is not hard.

The problem is that the hook on it is not going into the shell casing far enough because the hook is too short. All you have to do is use a small file and file away a small bit of the extractor where it hooks, thereby making the hook longer, and you're done......

I think Kimber will not do this because it makes the red (chamber Loaded) marker on the top of the extractor LESS visible. But it does solve the problem.

Just go slow and keep checking until the hook actually goes into the rim of the case all the way.

Attached is the extractor diagram that shows you how to remove the extractor.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts