1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im a newbie to Kimbers and am picking a CCW rig. I like the 1911 style firearms and want to know the differences between the two. They both seem very much alike. Would you go for the stainless or regular finish? Anything else is always appreciated, espically recommended holsters for IWB.

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
21,912 Posts
Ultra carry is smaller, suggest you refer to a Kimber catalog or well stocked dealer for details. Their website isn't much help on dimensions, but you can look at the pretty pictures.
I would definitely want stainless for IWB.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply.

Kimber's site wasnt helpful, you are right. Im not to worried about dimensions. I knew one was smaller than the other, im leaning to the Pro Carry as its a little bigger.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Ultra = 3" barrel, aluminum frame, nice rig. I would go for the stainless model or the ultra CDP II. The CDP has gone through the custom shop and is designed for carry, has the melted contoured slide, night sites, ambi saftey.

Pro-Carry = 4" barrel, alu frame, full size grip, nice gun. (stainless)

Compact = 4" barrel, steel frame, shorter grip for easy carry, stainless, IMO a very nice carry gun. (stainless)

Holsters =

Milt Sparks ~ Versa Max II

or the latest one I like is from,

Law Concealment Systems ~ LCS II Concealment Holster

Both are very nice for IWB carry.

www.miltsparks.com
www.handgunconcealment.com

After proper break in I would not have any problem carrying any of the guns listed in the holsters listed.

I hope this helps.
Good luck!!!!!! :)

·
Registered
324 Posts

If you have to reholster alot..look into a VMII.
For 'after hours' I like the Warch six.
Both are created by Milt Sparks

More info on the Kimbers:
The Ultra weighs 25gms dry, The Pro weighs 28gms dry.The Ultra has a ramped barrel. field stripping is similar to the Pro...recoil Springs are different..Dual springs on the Ultra..single on the Pro.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I carry an Ultra Carry s/s in a Desantis IWB Cozy Partner. Pretty good quality for the price. I just picked up a matching mag holder. The Ultra Carry conceals really well. I would recommend the stainless steel because it show less wear.

·
Registered
238 Posts
the cdp is a great concealed carry. i have the ultra but the compact is also very nice to carry. i am no expert but to give you a basic idea there are two sizes of 1911 frame government and officers. the government is known as a fullsize. the frame difference is in the grip area,fullsize is longer. this difference can be seen in the above post. there are mainly three different barrels government=5",compact=4",ultra/micro=3". again this is just basic info and some companies call them different by different names. the procarry has a fullsize frame with a 4" barrel. the ultra has an officers frame with a 3" barrel. if there is a particular question we could answer we are more than willing. here is a pic of my ultra cdp11 with haken ironwood grips. jim

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
For what it is worth, my Ultra Carry II is the first gun I have ever owned. I carry it in the Ultra Concealment Holster from Blade-Tech (www.blade-tech.com). Very comfortable, relatively light, and the holster offers some unique versatility. I honestly don't even notice it is there any more. After shooting several 1911 models, I have come to realize that the Ultra II is a very accurate gun. The only downside is that the smaller the gun, the better your technique has to be. Smaller guns are more succeptable to limp-wristing and flinching. I have semi-frequent misfeeds, but I think that a new recoil spring will take care of it.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I've got the Kimber Compact and I love it. I had an Ultra Carry but traded it back in due to problems. The Compact shoots and feels much better IMO. Plus I like having the smaller grip.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts