1911Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
do you need a tool to remove the guide rod, i just got my first 1911, and i love shooting it! its awesome, the only other 45 i own is a glock 21 c, and i like the 1911 much better! i shot 200+ rounds yesterday when i got it, and when i got home i started to take it down to clean it. and everyone knows there is nothing to a glock and thats all i was use to. I read the manual and to me it wasnt real clear (because they have one manual for all there pistols) and there wasnt any tools included with my pistol. i was able to get everything apart fine, until i was trying to remove the guide rod so i could remove the barrel. i searched on the internet and read the manual over and over and couldnt figure it out. finally i noticed that the spring bottoms out in that "removable" seated bushing thing in the bottom of the slide below the barrel. now after rigging it up by wearing out my fingers i realized you have to compress the spring so you can push out that part that the guide rod goes through. like i said i didnt have a *tool* included with my pistol. and when i called the gun shop where i purchased my kimber they said this model is bushingless. so im not sure what the correct term is for that part.my question is, is there a trick to that removal or do i need that tool that is shown in the manual? any help would be greatly appreciated i searched this forum in and out and the internet and wasnt successful with any help!

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
With the gun still assembled, retract and lock back the slide. You should see a small "hole" in the guide rod about half way back. If you don't have the tool (a thin piece of "L" shaped wire) as ejay said you can just bend a paperclip. Insert in thru the hole and then ease the slide closed until it "catches" on the paperclip. this will make the guide rod and spring a captive unit. Go ahead and remove the slide and then you can take the guide rod assy out from the back side of the slide. Be sure you don't make the paperclip too long where it stickes too fat thru the guide rod, or it will block you from pulling the assmebnly thru the slide. Reassembly is the famous "reverse procedure". Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok that was the obvious, i thank you for your help. i wanted to make sure cuz the people that sold me the gun said "ooo that model is bushingless, you dont need any tools." i was like ok, cuz this is my first 1911 and i didnt know any better. but once i started looking at things it seemed like i did need a tool. i just wanted to confirm it. thanks again for the input!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I tried the method mentioned on my tac pro. The slide does not go forward past the guide rod hole with the tool in place. The slide stops because of the tool being in the way.

I have been taking the slide off first. Then with the slide removed from the frame, I'm compressing the spring and inserting the guide rod tool locking the guide rod and spring in place. Then I am able to remove the guide rod/spring, and barrel. Have I been doing it wrong? Am I missing something with the method you guys are using?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.