1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. First post and glad to be here.
I got my CCW permit about a year ago and bought a millenium Taurus in .40S&W. The PT140 is light and easy to carry, but the gritty DAO trigger makes accuracy difficult beyond 10-15 yards.
I broke down a few weeks ago and bought a Kimber Ultra Carry (also .40S&W). Wow. What a difference. I've only had the chance to put a few hundred rounds through it so far, but I love the way it shoots. I know you guys have a wealth of knowledge out there, so I'd like to ask a couple of questions.

1. I tend to shoot to the left of center and these old eyes have trouble picking up the front sight in anything other than bright light. The stock sights are plain and fixed. Any recommendations?

2. I practice with ball ammo, but what's the best defense load for Kimber?

3. Are there any quirks with this gun that I ought to watch for?

4. The shop owner talked me out of a Colt Defender. The deed is done, but how does the Defender compare to the Ultra Carry?

I'm anxious to learn more about 1911 style pistols and look forward to hearing from you folks.

------------------
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

·
Registered
146 Posts
There are several options for hight sights, fiber optic front sights, or simply painting the front sight with brightly-colored model paint (from a hobby shop).
I'm more of a .45 guy than a .40, but most manufacturers make very good hollowpoints that should work well in the self-defense role. Make certain to put several boxes through the intended pistol to ensure proper functioning. Also, different gun have preferences for different ammunition, it pays to try several brands, and types.
Sorry, I haven't shot the models you are interested enough to give an opinion about their quirks that would be worth anything.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I get the impression that more and more attention is being paid to gathering street data on handgun bullets and their effectiveness. At least, I seem to be seeing more information supposedly gleaned from such research.

And I am certainly getting the impression that, the more data you look at, the greater the apparent advantage of Hydra-Shoks. I carry Golden Sabre, myself, but just based on the statistics, it appears Hydra-Shok might be the way to go.

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Tolley. I did take a fine brush and paint the ramp of the front sight with a florescent green hobby paint. But even being careful, it looks kinda hokey. Can an amatuer replace the sights, or does it have to go to a smith?
Hi jp. I carried Hydra-Shoks in the Taurus and they fed fine. I ran two mags through the Kimber and found a few fine copper shavings on the flat behind the feed ramp when I cleaned the gun. The ramp seemed to have a little bit of a sharp edge at the point where it first picks up the bullet. I took a little of it off with fine emery paper, but haven't had the chance to shoot since then. I'll pick up some golden sabers this weekend and try them both. A little expensive for target practice, but I guess a gun that won't feed is just a club.

·
Registered
625 Posts
My suggestion for sights would be Hienie Straight Eigh Slant Pro's. The front and rear are ramped and serrated for better light contrast plus the tritium dot set one on top of the other.

Defensive wise, the best thing to do is try three or four different brands of defensive ammo. Every gun reacts differently. I personally prefer Federal Hydrashocks and PMC Eldarado Starfires(the best) in anything but a Colt. The Colt gets Corbon 230gr. +P.

·
Administrator
72,134 Posts
Originally posted by llahsram4:
4. The shop owner talked me out of a Colt Defender.
Okay, what "Colt is dead" type of sales bull$hit did he use? These dealers are really starting to annoy me.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
llahsram4 - For sights I would try Novaks or Heinie Slant Pros both with tritium inserts. Either one is an excellent choice. For carry ammo I would recommend a load that is 100% reliable in your gun. Furthermore, I would want a bullet whose performance is not subjective and dependent on multiple variables. Choose a bullet whose performance you can count on with some level of certainty.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi dsk. I take it you're a Colt man. Actually I was kind of set on a Defender. I spent a couple of weeks trying to decide between a compact Springfield, the Colt, and Kimber. The dealer had one of each and the Kimber seemed to fit my hand the best. The rap he used was that Springfield was the least accurate. The Colt was better, but that I'd never be able to shoot better than the Kimber could do. I really didn't buy the pitch because I'm not a good enough shot to out perform the capabilities of any good gun. I just liked the look and feel of the Kimber, and the price wasn't much higher.

[This message has been edited by llahsram4 (edited 11-01-2001).]

·
Administrator
18,583 Posts
Welcome to The Forum!

This being a Kimber type of post...I'm going to move it to that section.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.