1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all. Need your advice.

Own a Custom CDP and a Pro CDP, and noticed the night sights were dimming on both. Called Dennis, he told me to ship the slides up and they'd pop new sights on for me no charge. I'm waiting for the slides to return, and if I know their customer service (nothing short of terrific IMHO) I'll get the slides back pretty soon.

Both weapons were sighted in dead on for my eyes, but I'm concerned that the new sights may be a little out of whack. Dennis told me that they mark the slide as to where the original sights are mounted on the slide, and then mount the new sights exactly where the old ones were.

But what if....??

If I need to adjust the new sights (specifically the rear sight) I know that Kimber puts those things on tighter than a gnat's gnass. I purchased a rear sight adjustment tool from Brownell's in case I need to drift the sight, but I'm a little apprehensive about the tightness of the mounting. Anyone out there have any suggestions as to how to loosen up the sight should I have to adjust it?

Yes, I do realize that one option I have is to send the slide back to Kimber with a target and have them adjust the sight, and believe me I may have to do that! But if they need adjustment I'd rather do it myself if I can. Please no flames here - I'm asking for your advice.

Thanks

Mike Sigman
[email protected]

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Folks,

Just did a search on this forum for this topic. Seems the big hammer/brass punch thing is a way to go, but I'm still concerned about blasting the new tritium vials.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks again for your help.

Mike

·
Premium Member
20,303 Posts
Both of mine came back dead on after the Mepps replacement. If you do need to move them, try a little heat on the allen wrench in the set screw.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mr Husker,

Thanks for your reply. I'm about to show my complete ignorance here.

When you say, "try a little heat on the allen wrench in the set screw" how much heat are we talking about here? Would a heat gun do the trick, or do I need to use a butane torch like used for plumbing?

Additionally, would that damage the tritium capsules?

Thanks again.

Mike

·
Premium Member
20,303 Posts
The heat on the tritium worries me. I apply heat on Kimber's plain sights with a soldering gun. By holding the allen wrench with pliers and putting a small torch on the wrench, I'd think the heat transfer would be focused on the mating surfaces instead of the tritium vials.

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
I've never had much luck trying to adjust Kimber sights with an MGW sight pusher tool. BMF hammer works. You just have to hit it on the dovetail. the set screw should come out without too much trouble. Kimber uses a white thread locker that is less permanent than blue (medium) loctite.

·
Premium Member
20,303 Posts
Last couple I removed had the sealer/adhesive throughout the slide cut. The heat helps soften and loosen it.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the information, guys.

Hopefully the new sights will be dead on.

Anyone else have any other suggestions?

Mike

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
adjustment part two

OK, assuming I need to adjust the rear sight:

Shots go right, I move the rear sight to the................RIGHT?

Shots go left, I move the rear sights to the..........LEFT??

Is this correct or am I blissfully ignorant again?

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
74 Posts
Move the rear sight in the direction that you want the bullet to go. For example, if the gun is shooting to the right, move the rear sight to the left to bring the point of impact more left.

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
Move the rear sight in the direction you want the shot to go. If you are shooting too far right, you move it left.

Edit...posting at the same time with almost the same words......GMTA! :)

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
more help requested!

OK, guys, here we go again on the rear sight thing.

Shot it today, and sure enough, the shots were hitting a little left at the 7 yard distance. I need to move the rear sight slightly left. Got the set screw out with the allen wrench without difficulty, but couldn't get the [email protected]#@! rear sight to move for diddly.

Had wife unit hold slide firmly on solid surface whilst I banged away at the dovetail using a non-maring brass punch and brass hammer. Didn't move. Tried the sight pusher from Brownells previously mentioned, and although the sight may have moved a slight amount I'm not sure.

So now we proceed to the heat thing. I do not own a soldering iron, only own a heat gun. I have the tritium inserts as these are the factory night sights. So how and where would I apply the heat? Do I need to score a soldering iron to do this operation or will the heat gun do the trick?

I did keep the target and option b is to send the slide back to Kimber for them to adjust the sight, but frankly I'd rather do it myself if possible.

Help me Landru help me help meeeee..........

(Those of you out there that are old enough to remember that are having way too much fun!)

Thanks again---

Mike

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
If its shooting a little left then you want to move the rear sight a little right, not left. Move it in the direction you want the shot to go not where it is going now.

I don't know if a heat gun is a good idea on Tritium sights. Tritium is a gas and if you heat it, the pressure in the lamp vials will go up and I'm not sure how much pressure they can take. The sight should move to the right easier than to the left since the dovetail is tapered to the left.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Regarding sight adjustments on Kimbers, I did a post under Kimber/Sight tools describing a new sight adjustment tool that looks really good. I have no connection with the manufacturer.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
postscript

Howdy all. Wanted to give you the post mortem on this thread.

My Kimber Pro CDP went back to Kimber for sight adjustment. When it was returned, they had replaced the barrel! Nothing mentioned about adjusting the sights at all. I got a new barrel out of the deal (at no cost to me, with the exception of the shipping charges which I don't mind paying) and off to the range I go to see how she does.

Lo and behold, it's shooting slightly right. Not much, but enough to make a difference.

Spoke with Mr Small re his PI Sight Adjusting tool mentioned on another thread on this board, and he told me that it did indeed work on a Kimber that they had. I purchased this adjustment tool based on this information. Got it in two days (!) and found it to be extremely high quality. Tried it on my Pro CDP......and the damn sights wouldn't budge for the life of me. Boy howdy they have them thar sights in tight. Elected to keep the tool as it can be used on all other weapons and because it's such high quality.

Finally took the weapon to a gunsmith today. He whacked at the sight and FINALLY got it to move without damaging the sight or the night sight tubes! Got it sighted in perfectly, and I will tell you that was the best five bucks I think I've ever spent.

So life is good once again, and I want to thank y'all for all of your advice. Still, why the heck does Kimber have to put the durn sights in so [email protected]#@!! tight?!!?

Mike

1 - 17 of 17 Posts