1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for feedback from anyone on here that owns any of the Kimber .22 rimfire target pistols. I have a Ruger 22/45 which I shoot all the time at the range. It shoots well, but I don't like the grip and it is awful to break down and clean. The grip has the same position as a 1911, but it still feels different than my Kimber 45. I am thinking about trading my Ruger 22 for a Kimber Rimfire Target in stainless or maybe the Rimfire super. any thoughts or feedback on how they function, any issues?
Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a rimfire target.

pros:
looks beautiful
good grip position
simple to strip
just feels good...

cons:
pricey
does not lock open on last round
plastic mags
mine is picky about ammo and I have not yet found non-jacketed ammo that it likes (which is unfortunate, since some of the indoor ranges I shoot at do not let you use jacketed)

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
I was going to get one of the Kimber 22s but changed my mind at the $675. Since I have a Kimber Stainless Pro Carry-HD (stainless frame) I got one of the conversion kits for $289.

I have a friend that has two of the full Kimber 22s and he has nothing but problems. As such, I took mine and decided to hand cycle the slide on the stainless frame (it was rough and didn't like to function very well). I hand cycled it about 100 to 150 times (was watching TV so the count was ..... possibly not as accurate as I wanted, but it was well over 100 :) ). Went into the back room at commercial and cleaned it, fresh oil, and went back to watching TV and hand cycling. Repeat twice.

When I started the hand cycleing, I could hold the slide vertically and push down on the frame and it would almost stay down. After the third set of cycling, cleaning and fresh oil, it would almost snap back. I also added a little oil to the aluminum plug that the recoil spring goes into.

Took it to the range and it was 100% on anything I fed it. I also like the feel of the extra weight from the steel frame.

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
I have the Kimber conversion and the Ruger 22/45. Since winning the Ruger, my conversion will probably not be used often if ever.

The problem with the conversion is that it does not feed all the time. By that I mean that the slide doesn't go all the way forward into battery. I learned to push it forward whether it needed it or not after each shot. (about 1/4 inch out of battery) It does this more and more often as the gun fouls (30 rounds).

Hoped it would break in and work but it may be the difference in the steel frame and aluminum (bright not blue) finish might be binding but I can't feel anything.

will probably trade it on something else.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I have the coversion kit and I only ever had one jam, and it was within the first 20 rounds, and it was the magazines fault. I have only tried CCI minimag ammo, works great. I don't care for for the plastic mags, they fit tight and need persuasion to release sometimes. I'm not happy with the slide not locking back after the last round either. Other than that I have no reason to complain about mine. I can't even complain about price. The shop where I bought the kit marked the price wrong, I do believe I got it at wholesale.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I like the fact that both Marvel and Cenier offer different lengths, and Marvel offers more custom features.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
I own a Rimfire Target that I've put about 6,000rds through without too many problems. What I mean by that is that if you use quality ammo (a little on the hotter side seems to do better) and realize that it likes lube, you'll be ok. I bought my Dad a conversion kit for Christmas and he loves it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts