1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wanting a blued steel 1911. Took a look at a couple of Colt xse's at local gun stores but found the fit and finish wanting. Maybe these where bad examples but I didn't have a lot to look at. Was wonder if anyone here owns or has seen the Kimber Royal II. I know Kimbers fit and finish is generally very good but was wondering if the blueing was nice with good polish on the flats? I haven't been able to find one locally to look at. What other options are out there that are on the DOJ list without going to semi custom guns?

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
I have been wanting a blued steel 1911. Took a look at a couple of Colt xse's at local gun stores but found the fit and finish wanting. Maybe these where bad examples but I didn't have a lot to look at. Was wonder if anyone here owns or has seen the Kimber Royal II. I know Kimbers fit and finish is generally very good but was wondering if the blueing was nice with good polish on the flats? I haven't been able to find one locally to look at. What other options are out there that are on the DOJ list without going to semi custom guns?
epetrillo,

Do you mean the California DOJ list??? If so, there are few that I can think of. The Kimber Royal II, Kimber Gold Match II (in blue), a Smith & Wesson (forgot the model designation:() and the Colt NRM 1991, of which I have one left. I have an old model Springfield " Standard " model in brushed blue circa late 80's build I think.

I was fondling some Kimbers at the gun store yesterday after I consigned one of my blue Colt 1991. The bluing of the Colt is more " black " while the Kimbers are " shinier " and therefore more polished, if that is something you like as I do. Its really pretty to look at. The rounded top of the slide is matte to minimize glare.

I also crave a nice blued gun much more than stainless, but they are not so common anymore.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I haven't handled one but if they are finished like the other Kimbers the quality should be good. I too purchased an XSE and the fit and finish were not the most cosmetically pleasing -- same with the SA loaded and mil-spec models (good user guns though). This is why I sold my SS loaded to buy a Kimber because the fit was so much better on the Kimber.

On the other hand, I bought a S70 repro and you can certainly tell it is of higher quality fit and finish than the XSE or other standard models.

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
I just received one. Was on order for 9-months. Beautiful gun. It's unfired and now wearing stag grips. Bluing is very good.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I just got back from doing a PPT on a Kimber Gold Match II. Gun was barely used and finish was a very nice blue with high polish on the flats. Living in California I now have to suffer through a 10 day wait before I can pick it up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts