1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I recently got my concealed carry permit. Long story short I ended up buying a Kimber Stainless Ultra Carry II. The limited edition 2 tone w/ crimson trace grips. I got it last week, last weekend put 150 rounds through it, JHP and FMJ, not a single problem. I love this gun. Took it home the day I shot it, and cleaned the hell outta it. Now, just 1 week later I find slight rusting on the barrel.

I'm stating this now - I'm not freaking out - I still very much enjoy this gun, I just wanna know *** to do? The finish on the barrel looks pretty rough, and I've heard of people fixing this problem. But how? what do I remove the rust with? I have no power tools at my disposal. I'm willing to go buy whatever cleaning supplies that are needed. I'm just at a loss of what to do.

Needless to say, when I cleaned it I gave it a good oiling to (or I thought so) and I've never had any issues w/ my S&W 629 rusting. Should I take it to a gun smith and have it polished up and stuff? I really kinda sad that a gun thats supposedly 1 of 1000 made comes w/ a somewhat shoddy finish on the barrel. Anywho, someone help a noob? This is my first 1911 and I really would like to keep it and have it around for a long time.

·
Banned
140 Posts
Ok, so I recently got my concealed carry permit. Long story short I ended up buying a Kimber Stainless Ultra Carry II. The limited edition 2 tone w/ crimson trace grips. I got it last week, last weekend put 150 rounds through it, JHP and FMJ, not a single problem. I love this gun. Took it home the day I shot it, and cleaned the hell outta it. Now, just 1 week later I find slight rusting on the barrel.

I'm stating this now - I'm not freaking out - I still very much enjoy this gun, I just wanna know *** to do? The finish on the barrel looks pretty rough, and I've heard of people fixing this problem. But how? what do I remove the rust with? I have no power tools at my disposal. I'm willing to go buy whatever cleaning supplies that are needed. I'm just at a loss of what to do.

Needless to say, when I cleaned it I gave it a good oiling to (or I thought so) and I've never had any issues w/ my S&W 629 rusting. Should I take it to a gun smith and have it polished up and stuff? I really kinda sad that a gun thats supposedly 1 of 1000 made comes w/ a somewhat shoddy finish on the barrel. Anywho, someone help a noob? This is my first 1911 and I really would like to keep it and have it around for a long time.
That is a typical Kimber barrel. Let me guess...either at the 1 o' clock or 11 o'clock if you're looking down at the top of the barrel? The hoods are also notorious for rusting in a moist climate. Take some 0000 stainless steel wool with some oil, lightly rub it out. When all done and the barrel is wiped off, heat up your oven to about 300 degrees. place the barrel in the oven to heat it up real good for about 20 minutes. Then submerge the barrel in Militec1. Let it cool down then wipe it down and run your patches through the barrel. Then reassemble your weapon as normal.

I was looking for a way to stop the barrel rust on Kimbers and after trial and error, this is the fix I found for it. We get some rain, snow and other goodies here in NM and so far since last winter, I haven't had anyone complain of rust on the barrels. I see most of these guys on a weekly basis so I've been keeping up with how they are doing.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Any carbon steel "in the white" will rust if not oiled properly and frequently, it doesn't matter who made it. When exposed to humidity and/or salt (sweat) this probability increases. Use a good synthetic lube and cover all bare metal surfaces. Petroleum based lubes are great too but you need more frequent application because some of them evaporate over time. What lube did you use?

Do not store your pistol in the original Kimber case or in a leather/nylon holster for extended periods of time without care. Foam and leather/nylon hold moisture and will cause rust.

The more you carry, the more care your pistol will need.

The steel wool should do the trick removing the rust although it can sometimes be difficult due to the tiny grooves from the machining process.

I am no expert by any means, these are just my opinions.
Good luck:rock:

·
Registered
709 Posts
I had a Kimber Target II that did the same thing. I live in WI. so not a lot of humidity here compared to other parts of the country, but it gets humid in the summer. I found rust on my barrel and I took flitz and a soft felt poishing wheel on my dremel tool and it took it off and kept it off from then on. I don't know why they do that, but seems to be normal for Kimbers. I don't know if I would use steel wool on the barrel as others have said that the small particles of steel wool gets embedded in the steel and then the particles them selves start the rust process all over again. Good luck.

·
Registered
309 Posts
If you use steelwool on it, DO NOT USE STEELWOOL ON STAINLESS STEEL.
You will embed steel particles into the "stainless steel" and it will then rust.
Best to use brand new scotchbrite or fine sandpaper, as long as the rust isn't in the bushing area.
You could always just leave it, keep the gun oiled from now on and it most likely wont get worse.

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
Easy to remove rust on stainless steel with ordinary vinegar and a brush.

For steel use a bronze brush and CLP.

-- Chuck

·
Premium Member
3,283 Posts
Kimber barrels are 4140, I read that on their website I think. So, no, not stainless.

FWIW, 4140 is a better alloy for barrels anyway, I prefer 416 stainless though here in the Pacific Northrust.
Parts

1 - 7 of 7 Posts