1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the pistol back on Thursday and put 300 rounds through her on Friday. The only problems were due to some of my sloppy handloads (wasn't sure about the seat depth on flat points). When I first got the pistol I could not get through a magazine without a feed jam or premature slide lock. The attached work order said they adjusted the extractor and the slide stop and the thing seems to work very well now. As a reward for their quick turn around and apparent competence, I bought a second Custom Eclipse on Saturday. I think this Eclipse line is the best deal going in a 1911 (or any pistol) these days.

Apologies for the typo in the subject line but I am sure you Kimberians get the point. I'll use two Ls in Ultra next time.

[This message has been edited by AndABeer (edited 10-29-2001).]

·
Registered
35 Posts
Do you have the Ultra Eclipse II? If so, at what point did you determine it needed to be returned for service? I just bought one over the weekend and experienced some of the problems you mentioned, but thought it was due to being a new gun.

Originally posted by AndABeer:
Got the pistol back on Thursday and put 300 rounds through her on Friday. The only problems were due to some of my sloppy handloads (wasn't sure about the seat depth on flat points). When I first got the pistol I could not get through a magazine without a feed jam or premature slide lock. The attached work order said they adjusted the extractor and the slide stop and the thing seems to work very well now. As a reward for their quick turn around and apparent competence, I bought a second Custom Eclipse on Saturday. I think this Eclipse line is the best deal going in a 1911 (or any pistol) these days.

Apologies for the typo in the subject line but I am sure you Kimberians get the point. I'll use two Ls in Ultra next time.

[This message has been edited by AndABeer (edited 10-29-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Hovis (edited 10-29-2001).]

·
Registered
54 Posts
Last Friday I spoke with the store where I purchased my Ultra Eclipse. They stated that if I am still experiencing FTF's after 500 rounds, then it is time to send it back to Kimber. I'm taking it over there this week.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hovis,

Yes, it is a II. I believe all Eclipses are of the II version. This was my 10th Kimber so I was very surprised when I could not get through a mag without a jam. I first tried various ammo to make sure that that was not the issue. If you have not tried different brands, get thee back to the range and do so for this will be the first question that "gentleman" (and I use the term loosely) will ask at the Kimber Custom Shop. He is a bit abrasive to deal with but he is a NYer, go figure. The jam was such that the round was hanging up just out of battery about 1/8" and the slide would not push forward as it was bound up. Only by pulling the slide back and letting it slam forward would the round chamber. If you are having other feed jams then also try a different magazine. Kimber's supplied mags are notoriously evil. Premature slide lock was my other problem. As I stated I have a few other 1911s so I knew that I was not bumping the slide lock with my thumb. If you are having this trouble then change your grip slightly first so that your thumbs are way out of the way. I am pretty happy with the service I got I just wish dude could get a personality transplant.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wilson mags have been berry berry good to me. And several hundred others on this board alone.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Yep, Wilson Combat Magazines are the absolute best!!!! I love their 8 rounders!!!! I have a Pro Elite and just bought a Ulta CDP. I'll use nothing but Wilsons!

------------------
God Bless America!!

Danny
NRA, NAHC, Buckmasters

1 - 8 of 8 Posts