1911Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I was finally able to find a good deal on a series 1 Custom Classic. I picked it up for $450.00 at a local pawn shop! The gun is in excellent mechanical condition, but it looks like the last owner put a couple hundred rounds thru it and never cleaned it...dirty, nasty! Took it home and cleaned it up and put 150rds thru it so far with no malfunctions at all, and it is super accurate. The only problem I have is the slide and frame have slight surface pitting and surface rust! I got all the rust off but now am going to send the slide and frame back to Kimber for complete re-finishing, installing an ambi safety, and Kimber night sights. I just wanted to share my find with you all! Will post before and after pics when it is all done.

·
Registered
434 Posts
You have come across a GREAT deal on a GREAT handgun! Can't wait to see pics when it returns. I have one that I'm going to get refinished someday, but it still looks good right now. Let us know how the night sights work out.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Wow...FANTASTIC price on that. I found one for $550 plus tax (bringing it to $600 or so) and thought that I had done well but I wouldn't have imagined that you could find a price THAT low on a functional one.

·
Premium Member
3,451 Posts
milcop152 said:
Hello all,
I was finally able to find a good deal on a series 1 Custom Classic.
I just happened to notice that you've been a member on this forum for almost 3 years. Is that how long you've been looking? If so, you're made of sterner stuff than I am my friend. That's what I call focus.... :)

·
Registered
704 Posts
Congrats! I finally found a NIB, unfired Series I Custom Classic about 3 months ago for $600.00. And I thought I got a heck of a deal. ;)

Does yours have a roll stamped Kimber on the slide?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Huevos said:
I just happened to notice that you've been a member on this forum for almost 3 years. Is that how long you've been looking? If so, you're made of sterner stuff than I am my friend. That's what I call focus.... :)
lol....I have been looking for almost that long! I put another 150rds through it today and still 100% reliable, just need to get the finish re-done! I'll try to post a few pics of what it looks like now.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LeMat said:
Congrats! I finally found a NIB, unfired Series I Custom Classic about 3 months ago for $600.00. And I thought I got a heck of a deal. ;)

Does yours have a roll stamped Kimber on the slide?
The left side of the slide has Kimber on it, and the right side has Classic Custom on it.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
I truly hate to say this but I would not have Kimber refinish that pistol. They do a good job repairing everything else I've seen. For refinishing, though, I'd go elsewhere. If you want the pistol blued I understand that Ted Yost's shop turns out excellent work, and there probably are others too. If you want it hard chrome plated I'd choose Virgil Tripp. There are many others who would polish out the pitting beautifully and do a much more lasting finish than Kimber's. The original Custom Classic is such a good gun that it's worth doing better, in my own most humble opinion.

·
Premium Member
3,451 Posts
Robert makes a good point. You might ask around at the local gun shops and see if anyone does it locally and save some time and shipping $. I found a local guy who does great work and I wouldn't be affraid to have him reblue my Kobra Carry. It's nice not having to ship. In any case, I'd check my options before just sending it off to Kimber.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
I think Robert Hairless has the right thoughts on who to refinish your Kimber. Milcop152, I see you live in Texas. Texas is a very big state, but if live within driving distance of Tripp Research you should consider them. You will not be sorry.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am in the Houston area, and Alpine, TX. , where Tripp is located is about 81/2 hours drive from me. I spoke with them today after looking at their web site. I think the Cobra Coat is the way for me. I like black/blued guns compared to other finishes. I have heard excellent things about Tripp and am going to be giving them my business. I cant wait to get the gun looking good again! I still cannot get my pics to load up to post here.....will keep trying.

·
Registered
76 Posts
milcop152 said:
Hello all,
I was finally able to find a good deal on a series 1 Custom Classic. I picked it up for $450.00 at a local pawn shop! The gun is in excellent mechanical condition, but it looks like the last owner put a couple hundred rounds thru it and never cleaned it...dirty, nasty! Took it home and cleaned it up and put 150rds thru it so far with no malfunctions at all, and it is super accurate. The only problem I have is the slide and frame have slight surface pitting and surface rust! I got all the rust off but now am going to send the slide and frame back to Kimber for complete re-finishing, installing an ambi safety, and Kimber night sights. I just wanted to share my find with you all! Will post before and after pics when it is all done.

I found a similar good deal three or four years ago for a Custom Classic I at the Gun Show in the War Memorial Auditorium in Fort Lauderdale, FL. Just had minor wear marks on the tip of the grip safety and some abrasion discoloration around the tip of the barrel. The rest of the finish was 100%. It came complete with two magazines, original hard box and manual, etc. Its previous owner had taken pretty good care of it and it was clean. I got some aftermarket magazines and took it to the range. I've fired some 500 rds out of it so far It's only jammed once with a reload round and several times with one of the cheaper aftermarket magazines (which I only use for practice). It is the most accurate .45 that I've fired (and I had customized Colt once). I just sent out for some Wolff replacement springs. I plan to have it for a long time.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
I got my CC-I for $500 a little over a year ago. It had about 250 rounds through it and I knew the owner and the gun's history well. I have well over 5K trouble-free rounds through it now and it is one of may favorite guns. Nice find!

Virgil's shop just hard-chromed my Les baer Premier-II. He also did some custom touches like flat-topping and serrating the slide, serrating the rear of the slide, and blending a S&A magwell (and some other little do-dads). His shope's work is excellent, turn-around time is very good, and prices are very competitive. Virgil is a gentleman and was an absolute pleasure to deal with.

When it's time to have my CC-I redone, his shop will definitely get the nod. If you are considering changing out the sights, you may want to look at Heinie Slant Pro Straight-8's. The make a non-gunsmithing version with Black-T finish. I just had them (not the Black-T finish, though) installed and they are sweet. Sight acquisition is very quick. Here's a pic.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.