1911Forum banner

Kimber service and advice

1219 Views 10 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  jaydee
Ther is a question coming at the end

Ok... had to send my CDP in a couple days ago. The main problem was that a small piece, or "chip", of the rifling blew out of the barrel. Didn't effect accuracy, but I didn't need a chip missing in my barrel either. In addition, since I had to pay shipping, I asked that the extractor be checked since it was dumping %10 of the fired brass only a few feet from the shooter.

Well, in record time and in the utmost professional manner from "Dennis", the gun came back with a new barrel with a replaced and "tuned" (glad they did it this time around, wasn't tuned from the factory when I purchased it)exctractor. Along with the explanations came a sentence that said, "Replace recoil spring every 800 rounds to ensure best performance." I'm sure that if I changed the oil in my car every 1000 miles it would always be in "best performance" too, but it isn't necessary! I have heard tht one should replace the spring every 2000 rounds. So, what do you all think about that?

------------------
If you don't mind being where you are, you are not lost.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
253 Posts
i hear that they can go for 5000 depending on how hot the loads are. it still shouldn't wind up with a chipped bbl. good luck with the "new" one.

------------------
Nothing like to smell of Breakfree to make my day complete.

· Registered
47 Posts
Wilson recommends replacing the recoil spring every 2000 rounds using up two shock buffers in the process. I must admit I have never been that anal about the whole thing, but I am trying to be better. A lot of it depends on the original spring. Is it a high quality spring and is it 16 pounds or 18 pounds? What type of loads are you shooting? If you are shooting light target loads the spring should last much longer, if you are shooting +P stuff you may need to replace the spring every 800 rounds. I just started using the WIlson Shock buffers and can't say whether they work or not, but they seem to be a good idea.

Tim

· Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shooting regular loads with velocities of around 750-800 fps. I think I've got a 22lbs spring in the 4" gun.

------------------

· Banned
208 Posts
I think you'll find that the spring is pretty much gone by 1000 rounds. Why? My guess is that there is so little free room when the spring is fully compressed that when the gun warms up the spring gets beat.

I don't suggest that you use the extra power spring. I tried one and I noticed signs on the spring plug indicating that it was getting pounded, as though the spring were too long.

There is only a 1/4" difference between a Kimber and a Colt Officer, but it seems to matter to the spring.

Change your spring every 1000rnds.

· Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Went out and shot the returned CDP today. To my utter joy and amazement it cam back throwing brass at a 45 degree angle towards the target! Did a 180 from having it thrown it back in my face. New Barrel isn't as polished as the original, but it still shoots good.

------------------

· Registered
672 Posts
Do not use shock buffs in any gun that you carry for self defense, they can and do compromise the relability of your weapon and can cause malfunctions.

7th

------------------
Support Your Local Police

· Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Shane...Shane...where are you?

------------------

· Registered
12 Posts
Kimbers's advice is not overly conservative. The recoil spring in a compact defintely has to be changed every 700 rounds or so. I went to about 650, and the spring was totally shot (using combination of full power 230gr ball and 200gr SWC (@850fps). Full size recoil springs can go much longer.

· Registered
901 Posts
Well, Brad (Gargoyle) had to send it back again.

His Pro started choking on him when he was out here last weekend, and we went out shooting.

The gun failed to go into battery several times.

After breaking it down, everything looked good, so we put it back together, and applied a few drops of MP7 to the rails. It started running again with no problems. He had been using Tetra grease, but it seemed like the gun ran dry.

When he got home, he noticed some scratched on the Barrle hood of the new barrel. The scoring was enough to feel rough to touch, so he contacted Kimber, and sent it back in.

One note (and something I have noted in the past)... Dennis's attitude was a bit extreme... Almost condescending. Never did care much for that.

He should have it back soon, and will be reporting back.

Personally, IMHO, he should be getting 1000-1500 rounds on Spring changes, with a quality spring. Also, the standard weight in the Pro is 22 lbs. The Wolff Variable is a good option for this as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.