1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a thirty day old Kimber Ultra Eclipse II. After about 500 rounds, the front sight went out, a piece of metal broke out in the ejector scallop and the factory magazine didn't work properly, leaving the slide locked back with a round or two left in the magazine. I sent the pistol to Kimber via FedEx overnight on 11/28/01 and it was back on my door step on 12/03/01. It looks like they replaced the slide. They also replaced the factory magazine and provided two additional magazines to defray shipping costs. We can all make the argument that a thirty day old pistol shouldn't need service, but I think that things were handled quickly and equitably. I dealt with Winslow by phone, he was cordial. I guess I am saying that if I need warranty service, at least this seems pretty good compared to Smith and Wesson for example.

·
Premium Member
6,416 Posts
Hovis,
I agree with you when you talk about how fast they get your gun back to you, they are really great about that.As far as the problems you had with your pistol, I think you will find most people dislike Kimber sights and recommend replacing them.Kimber has replaced my sights 3 times(one set of adjustables and 2 sets of adjustable night sights) in less than a year.If they break again I will find a different brand. as far as the slide locking to the rear prematurely, a Wilson Bullit proof slide stop with the detent cut in it solved the problem, so if the new mag doesn't work try that.How did you get them to give you mags to offset shipping costs? My Stainless Gold Match has been back to them 5 times in less than a year and I haven't gotten a thing, not even a "sorry you are having trouble with your pistol"

·
Registered
416 Posts
Originally posted by eljay45:
Hovis,
I agree with you when you talk about how fast they get your gun back to you, they are really great about that.As far as the problems you had with your pistol, I think you will find most people dislike Kimber sights and recommend replacing them.Kimber has replaced my sights 3 times(one set of adjustables and 2 sets of adjustable night sights) in less than a year.If they break again I will find a different brand. as far as the slide locking to the rear prematurely, a Wilson Bullit proof slide stop with the detent cut in it solved the problem, so if the new mag doesn't work try that.How did you get them to give you mags to offset shipping costs? My Stainless Gold Match has been back to them 5 times in less than a year and I haven't gotten a thing, not even a "sorry you are having trouble with your pistol"
I got a couple $12 7 round mags in their feeble attempt to offset $70 in shipping costs when they replaced a deffective barrel with an even more deffective barrel! They give out mags like candy. I have been offered mags twice, but opted to have my last send in (FAILING NIGHT SIGHTS) returned with overnight delivery. (They probably send all slides back "overnight delivery" and I just got swindled
) Just ask Dennis for mags and he will HOOK YOU UP!

------------------
If you don't mind being where you are, you are not lost.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I asked for merchandise to offset shipping costs in my letter. Again,a couple mags that don't work won't really help me much, but before I say anything, I better shoot them and see. I am pretty sure the mag was the problem as I ordered two Wilsons and two Chip McCormicks and they work great. Not a single failure. I didn't get a sorry either. Nor, according to the paperwork ,did they test fire the gun.

[This message has been edited by Hovis (edited 12-04-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Hovis (edited 12-04-2001).]

·
Banned
184 Posts
I find your trails and tribulations with Kimber Quality Control Problems very interesting, as I WAS considering the purchase of a Kimber. Either a Compact CDP, or Pro Eclipse II.

Personally I think it kind of sucks that you have had to eat all this return shipping to Kimber because of their apparent Q.C. Problems. Let me explain the reason I feel the way I do.

I had a business for many years, and I was a Service Provider, Service was what I sold and it appears Kimber is not giving your service due after paying a lots of dollars for you Custom Handgun.

Also large shippers like Federal Express, and UPS give big volume customers like Kimber a better shipping rate that you and me who may only Ship a single Handgun once in a while.

So if nothing else Kimber should send a Pick up slip, or told you to send the Gun in on their Federal Express, or U.P.S. Shipper Account Number and ask that you pay maybe the reduced shipping rate give to them as big shippers.

Just my Two Cents on the Subject, but like I said it appears you have had a lot of Trails & Tribulation with your Kimber that should have been, and I am sure would have been prevented with better Quality Control by Kimber. Something you the consumer had no control over Kimber's apparent Q.C. Problems, and should not have been penalized for Kimber's apparent Q.C. Problems with shipping charges.

Pp

·
Registered
416 Posts
Originally posted by akapennypincher:
I find your trails and tribulations with Kimber Quality Control Problems very interesting, as I WAS considering the purchase of a Kimber. Either a Compact CDP, or Pro Eclipse II.

Personally I think it kind of sucks that you have had to eat all this return shipping to Kimber because of their apparent Q.C. Problems. Let me explain the reason I feel the way I do.

I had a business for many years, and I was a Service Provider, Service was what I sold and it appears Kimber is not giving your service due after paying a lots of dollars for you Custom Handgun.

Also large shippers like Federal Express, and UPS give big volume customers like Kimber a better shipping rate that you and me who may only Ship a single Handgun once in a while.

So if nothing else Kimber should send a Pick up slip, or told you to send the Gun in on their Federal Express, or U.P.S. Shipper Account Number and ask that you pay maybe the reduced shipping rate give to them as big shippers.

Just my Two Cents on the Subject, but like I said it appears you have had a lot of Trails & Tribulation with your Kimber that should have been, and I am sure would have been prevented with better Quality Control by Kimber. Something you the consumer had no control over Kimber's apparent Q.C. Problems, and should not have been penalized for Kimber's apparent Q.C. Problems with shipping charges.

Pp
That is what I'm talking about!

Could You please apply to the Kimber Custom Shop?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts