1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ordered a new SIS custom (non-railed) for $925 out the door. I could take or leave the cocking serrations but the fact that it doesn't have the series 80 or Swarz safety was the clicker for me. It will be my first Kimber in over 30 years of shooting/owning 1911s so I hope it's a good one. Anyone here have one? Comments? things to look for? Things that might need changing?

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
There are a couple of threads going on here. I got one a few weeks ago, have a range report up in "that" section. I'm like you, I could live without the "SIS" serrations, but they weren't a deal breaker. What sold me was the internal extractor and lack of Series II parts. I feel this is a great "old school" Kimber.

I changed out my grips and added a magwell, otherwise it is stock. Very nicely fit and finished. I am a big fan. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
I can only speak for mine, but it is the smoothest shooting 1911 I've ever been near. (P.S. You got a GOOD price there).

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
It's a shame about those SIS serrations. Otherwise, I think it's a great looking pistol. If they came out with this same gun, but with traditional serrations, I'd be all over it.

·
Registered
874 Posts
They were custom made/designed for a Gang unit of the LAPD, that was part of it.

It wouldnt be a SIS w/o them.

Doesnt kimber make an LA swat style 1911, that would be basically the same thing just w/o the SIS

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
The one for the LAPD SWAT was a Series II. I got to handle another SIS this week and this one seemed less slick on the outside. Vances in Columbus has them for $1099 until the end of this month. I didn't get one as I have almost to many 1911s' now. Can't believed I even said that.:confused:

·
Premium Member
20,401 Posts
As an original Kimber owner, I was excited to see a Pre-II, internal extractor Kimber coming out of the factory. That's what we asked for. Then to see those serrations about made me want to vomit. Talk about a prostitution of the name!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Sis

I handled one today at our local shop and i have to agree about the slide serrations. I really liked the gun but the serrations were way to slippery. Oh well I have to many guns now if thats possible.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I'm not going to let the serrations keep me from buying, it's a tool not something I'm going to hold in my hand and stare at all day besides before long every maker will probably start doing it in some other way, shape or form. They just can't leave well enough alone.

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
They were custom made/designed for a Gang unit of the LAPD, that was part of it.

It wouldnt be a SIS w/o them.

Doesnt kimber make an LA swat style 1911, that would be basically the same thing just w/o the SIS

Holy crap, when did SIS become a gang unit?! Boy are those guys gonna be pissed! :rolleyes:

LAPD SWAT uses a customized variant of the Kimber Custom II, and after it was finally spec'd with its final design changes, it became what is now marketed as the Custom TLE II.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think that the slide serrations look funky. But maybe the trippy "one handed" slide opperating rear sight will make up for the slipperiness of the serrations. Personally to me, a gun is a gun. I would use some skater tape on the slide or something, (maybe develop my grip strength in my hands) If I got this gun for free and it was my only gun for self defense.

·
Premium Member
20,401 Posts
Free is a different story... to pay for those nasty slide rollmarks is insane!

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I get so tired of hearing this same old complaint about the "SIS" serrations. When someone is posting a picture and complaining about them in a post, of course they "jump" right out at you. But when seeing the gun in person, they are not that noticable. You do of course realize they are different, but it's not readily apparant they say SIS. My wife didn't even notice until I pointed it out.

Second, they do NOT make the slide impossible to operate as some keep saying. With a firm grip, and operating the pistol with a quick, strong pull (like you should be doing on any 1911), I've had zero issues. I personally would have preferred some more traditional serrations, but they are not as awful as people try to make out, and the gun has too many other great features to let that one thing stand in my way. "Ugly" is in the eye of the beholder. If you want a gun for everyone to oooh and awww over, you may want to pass on this. But if you are looking for a nicely fit and finished 1911 with no Series II crap in it, you really ought to ignore the info posted by people who don't even own one and at least look at one in person to decide for yourself. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
9,803 Posts
It's a shame about those SIS serrations. Otherwise, I think it's a great looking pistol. If they came out with this same gun, but with traditional serrations, I'd be all over it.
+1. those serrations are an abomination. otherwise, good move by Kimber to go back to a series I style pistol. They should make ALL their 1911s the same like they used to....sans SIS serrations.

·
Registered
140 Posts
maybe they have changed the finish to make it less slippery.

However, a gun should function with blood, sweat and tears on your hands or the slide...

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I changed my mind and bought a nib TRP instead, for the extra $100, it's much more gun and I have been hearing/reading too many bad things about Kimber. I have owned Springfields before and their custmer service is top notch, haven't heard the same about Kimber!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Sis

I own 3 Kimbers...including an SIS-RL I recently picked up...and I've never had a problem with any of mine...with everything everybody hears and reads about problems with Kimbers, i guess I've been lucky. I trust my Kimber with my life every day I go to work....

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Well, I changed my mind and bought a nib TRP instead, for the extra $100, it's much more gun and I have been hearing/reading too many bad things about Kimber. I have owned Springfields before and their custmer service is top notch, haven't heard the same about Kimber!
Yep, customer service is top notch... until you need a replacement thumb safety and find out that springfield won't ship you one because their custom shop has to install it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts