1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for the 1911 experts out there. I have a couple of Kimber stainless TLEs that I'm currently refinishing with gunkote. One is about ten years old and the other is brand new. The older one had a lot of dings nicks and scratches in the slide that I wanted to remove so I gently sanded the surfaces smooth again.

My concern is that now that I've sanded everything smooth again I've discovered that the weight is 10 grams less then the new slide. The new slide weighs 335 grams, the older slide now weighs 325 grams. Is this enough where I should be concerned with potential slide failure?

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
I have a hard time believing you sanded 10 grams of stainless off by hand. That is two nickles worth of material!

·
Premium Member
20,345 Posts
He never said "by hand". Maybe he gently sanded them with a belt sander. That is a lot of metal lost, but shouldn't affect your pistol.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Plus, I do not see where the old slide was weighed before doing the sanding, so no one can be sure just how much was taken off.

Possibly the old slide weight 9.99 grams less than the new slide to start with.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Belt sander, funny but no. I am currently refinishing and gun-kote'ing two Kimber TLEs, ones mine another is a friends. I'm actually gauging the weight off of a new Kimber TLE slide which weighed in at 335 grams. The other slide had a couple of gouges in it. Using EZE-Lap diamond Hone and Stone files and an aluminum sanding board with 220 grit paper I kept filing the surfaces down until it was smooth and flat again. The surface turned out great but with all of the effort it took to achieve the result, I got concerned and weighed the slides which freaked me out a little when it weighed in at 325 grams. I guess my OCD got the best of me. It was all on the surface nothing internal but my concern is in the strength now. That's like a 5% difference.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm also going to try the aluminum oxide, I've noticed in the past that sand can be pretty aggressive.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Belt sander, funny but no. I am currently refinishing and gun-kote'ing two Kimber TLEs, ones mine another is a friends. I'm actually gauging the weight off of a new Kimber TLE slide which weighed in at 335 grams. The other slide had a couple of gouges in it. Using EZE-Lap diamond Hone and Stone files and an aluminum sanding board with 220 grit paper I kept filing the surfaces down until it was smooth and flat again. The surface turned out great but with all of the effort it took to achieve the result, I got concerned and weighed the slides which freaked me out a little when it weighed in at 325 grams. I guess my OCD got the best of me. It was all on the surface nothing internal but my concern is in the strength now. That's like a 5% difference.

I removed the roll marks on that Kimber slide with a 6x48 belt sander layed flat. Colt flat belt sands their slide as well. With a steady hand, it's quite effective.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts