1911Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the proud owner of a Kimber Pro Carry. The only changes that I've made since its purchase are the double-diamond walnut grips and a set of Wilson Rogers 8-round magazines. The pistol is an absolute tack driver at 25' and I am planning for this to be my new carry gun. In preparing the pistol for this task, I've run at least 500 rounds of mixed 200g lead semi-wadcutters and 230g hardball for break-in. It feeds flawlessly! The final step was to function fire the gun with my intended carry loads - Speer 230g Gold Dots. Much to my surprise, when I fired the pistol with 5 rounds of the Gold Dots in the magazine, the slide would lock open with rounds still in the mag. Close inspection revealed a slight scratch on the ogave of the bullet and a smear of copper on the slide stop. A gunsmith at the range "dressed" the slide stop (took off between .004 and .005 but did not alter the shape.) and the pistol has fed full magazines (without stopping) ever since. I knew these pistols were built to close tolerances, but I didn't know just how close. The moral of the story? Spend the money to test your carry gun with the rounds that you will be carrying. If I hadn't, I would have been carrying a .45 caliber single-shot pistol today!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts