1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to get one for summer time CCW and I'm looking for input on your experience, good or bad, with this pistol. Both of my other Kimbers have steel frames. Will the alloy frame hold out? Thanks for any replies.
Milldude

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
> milldude, i have an ultra carry aluminum frame and am very happy with it. i spoke with dennis at the custom shop once, and asked him about shooting plus p's. he told me they were rated for them, but if it was his gun he wouldn't shoot them. he didn't give me any reason. oh by the way, if you don't want to keep those magazines you got from brooks i'll take them off your hands.
raspy

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
raspy-
Thanks for the reply. Have you shot for accuracy with yours? I'm thinking of going with Federal PD or Triton 165's for carry.
Milldude

PS- I think I will hold on to the mags for awhile.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
> milldude, when i first got it, i tried all different kinds of ammo. both hollowpoint,and ball. i have setteled on pmc 230 gr. ball. it seems to be the most reliable, and accurate. i use it for both practice and carry. can consistintly(sp) group 3-4 inches at 15 yds offhand. all guns will like some ammo better than others, pmc just works best for me. hope this helps. raspy

·
Registered
150 Posts
Milldude,

I've had my SS UC for over a year, and put over 1600 rounds through it. I carry it daily and have nothing but great things to say about it. I value the lighter weight of the alloy frame and have no concerns over its longevity.

The UC has been perfectly reliable. I suggest breaking it in with FMJs for the first couple of hundred rounds. Since then, I've shot almost everything out of it, including plus-p stuff. The plus-p's are too punishing on my hand, but didn't hurt the UC. I use 185 gr. Remington Golden Sabers for defense loads. I've shot 1.5" groups at 15 yards with it offhand, and 1" at 7 yards. At 25 yards, it will put a full magazine into the head of a silhouette target. Not too shabby for a 3" bbl.

The UC was recommended to me by another owner early last year. I enjoy my UC very much, and highly recommend it to you. I prefer stainless in the high humidity here.

Regards,
TBob

------------------
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them"
- George Mason, American Statesman (1725-92)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all of the replies!!! My local gunshop just ordered one for me!!! I have to wait 4 weeks for it though.
Oh well, it will give me time to accessorize
Milldude

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
<>> milldude, when i got my uc i sent the slide back to yonkers and had the kimber night sights put on. i also put on a set of smooth cocobola grips from houge. one thing i noticed is the finish on the slide stop is wearing off. it still goes bang every time i pull the trigger, thats the most important thing. raspy

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a Classic SS Target and SS compact now. I will try to post pics of them at a later date.
Milldude

1 - 8 of 8 Posts