1911Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(1) I know that the topic of carbon steel vs stainless steel barels has come up before, and there seems to be the view that stainless steel is better. What I wasn't able to pick out of the current postings, however, were the "working" differences. I suppose that stainless steel should be more rust resistant. But is is more durable, from a normal wear standpoint? Does Kimber fit the stainless steel barrels to tighter tolerances? Any differences in breaking in? In other words, what are the functional reasons (if any) that I would prefer to have a stainless steel barrel?
(2)If one were to replace the carbon steel barrel with a SS one, where would you recommend the work be done, where reliability and accuracy are concerned?

Thanks.

·
Banned
1,607 Posts
Actually, IMO, the most accurate barrel available is made of carbon steel - Kart. For the most part Kimber barrels are very good. Remember it is the fitting that counts.
There are a lot of well known and not so well known gunsmiths that can fit a barrel. Try to find one close to where you live. I saw a barrel fitted by a very well known 'smith a couple of years ago that was an absolute butcher job. He will remain nameless as everyone can screw up once in a while.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts