1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP!!!!!

Kimber makes to many different models! I'm totally confused.
I need some suggestions from Kimber owners as to which models I should be looking at.

Some background........
I used to shoot competition (Bullseye). But that was over 18 years ago. I don't own any handguns at this time.

I'm thinking that I could be interested in IDPA. It looks as someting that would be fun and practical.
I also plan to conceal carry this weapon. So I guess I'm looking for a model that would do double duty.

Any and all help appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
146 Posts
I prefer the handling and the feel of the full-sized gov't models. That being the case I like the basic black Kimber Custom. I do not like ambi safeties or adjustable sights for carry. The stainless custom is also a fine pistol, the main reason I went with the black one was I couldn't justify the big price jump between the black custom and the stainless custom. I don't care for the rubber grips, but the shop I went to didn't have any custom royal which have wood grips.

One thing to remember about Kimbers is the slide stop hole is too low for ordnance specification. Nothing major, just something that you need to keep in mind if you are changing the barrel and/or the barrel link.

Overall my Kimber custom shoots very well to point of aim at 15 yards, with a full magazine making a group less than 1.5" center to center, shooting with my strong hand.

I would (and have) opt for either a Custom (cheapest), a Royal (better grips), or a stainless custom (shiny and pretty), for carry. Around here the custom is around $540, the Stainless Custom is $620. Now, if you want a smaller non-gov't sized .45 I cannot help you, as I didn't care for the way any of them felt / shot. GOod shooting.

-Hal

·
Registered
17 Posts
I second h_tolley on the full size. I recently purchased a Gold Combat and absolutely love it. Shoots POA, has digested everything I've feed it to date, points well, and is very accurate.

Originally I looked at a custom royal, but I knew I would get work done it anyway so I opted for the GC.

Once this gun passes the carry confidence test, it will replace my G26 as my primary piece. Actually I am taking out this weekend for an IPDA match, just to get some more trigger time.

It is a bit heavier than my G26, but does conceal nicely using my Kramer Vertical Scabard under a loose fitting shirt. The extra weight is very comforting.

Maybe go to a match as a specatator, and get their opinion. Heck they may even let you cap a few rounds after the match. Just a thought.

Good luck,
Dagwood

·
Registered
892 Posts
Originally posted by JHE73:
HELP!!!!!

Kimber makes to many different models! I'm totally confused.
I need some suggestions from Kimber owners as to which models I should be looking at
I'm thinking that I could be interested in IDPA. It looks as someting that would be fun and practical.
I also plan to conceal carry this weapon. So I guess I'm looking for a model that would do double duty.
I think you really need to make a choice between CCW and a competition gun. I can't even try to carry a full size gun for CCW. It is too big and too heavy.

If you want to try something for dual duty, I would either go with the Pro Carry (aluminum frame), Pro Carry HD (steel frame), Compact, or Compact aluminum. The Pro Carry has a full size frame with a 4" barrel. The compacts have a commander sized frame with a 4" barrel.

The smallest and lightest 1911 out there is the Ultra Carry. It has a aluminum commander frame with a 3" barrel. Talk about carrying that almost anytime all the time... Though the muzzle flip is pronounced compared to the full size.

[This message has been edited by Gun Nut (edited 11-06-2001).]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What about Springfield Armory?

I was told today by a gunsmith that SA makes a better gun all around! Is this true?

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you have a range near you that rents firearms, rent as many of the .45 caliber guns as you can and then decide which one you are serious about.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I also have a Gold Combat Stainless. I absolutely love it, I would highly reccomend it.
Not only is it super accurate and reliable, it is a really beautiful pistol too. I was torn between the Gold Match, Gold Combat and Springfield TRP. Once I picked up the Gold Combat I was sold, it just felt at home in my hand.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Pro Carry is a good compromise for dual duty. It gives the controllability of the full size, and great concealability. Carry should be the priority, so compete with only what you are comfortable carrying. This was the original intent of organizations like IDPA, but it isn't quite a perfect world. Ask any of the big players in IDPA, it still has the aspects of gaming.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I don't have the time to go shooting nearly as much as I would like,so I am not the greatest shot with a hand gun, but my Kimber Classic Custom Royal shoots so well that even I shoot it pretty well. My 14 yr. old son shoots it pretty well too. I love those double diamond checkered rosewood grips!! It's a great gun for the price. ( I paid$675 for it NIB )

------------------
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. NRA LIFE MEMBER

·
Registered
892 Posts
What about Springfield Armory?

I was told today by a gunsmith that SA makes a better gun all around! Is this true?
I'd say lurk around the SA forum for a while. I did. I was thinking about getting an SA because they were a little cheaper than Kimbers. That is, I was thinking about it until I read about people with stainless slides shearing in half and people who sent their guns in for service and not getting them back even after 8 weeks.

From the gripe/problem levels on the forums, it seems that you get a nicer/better quality overall gun with the Kimber. But, you do pay a few bucks more.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I shoot and carry a Classic Stainless... then again, your build and attire is going to impact what you can carry comfortably... Try to handle and shoot a few different models, you'll find one you're most comfortable with.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Gun Nut!

I think I'm pretty well set on a Kimber. It's just figuring out which one. I'm goin to lean toward the CCW side. I like the looks of the Eclipse.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Thanks Gun Nut!

I think I'm pretty well set on a Kimber. It's just figuring out which one. I'm goin to lean toward the CCW side. I like the looks of the Eclipse.
Quite honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with an Eclipse. Either the Pro or Ultra Eclipse would probably make you very happy.

Like I said before, I am not a "Hunk of Steel" guy when I CCW, so I personally like the smallest and lightest available. When I CCW, it is all day. There is a big difference between a 24 oz gun and a 34 oz gun. But, I certainly would not be using that in an IDPA match.

I am assuming the Ultra Eclipse will probably weigh in at about 30 oz unloaded given the steel frame. Anybody have one or know?

An aluminum framed Ultra is awsome for CCW, but once you put 50 rounds through it in a matter of 30 minutes, you will start to get fatigued.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Go for the full size! Recoil is more controllable and you are concealing one more inch. If weight is a problem, that is a different story. I weigh about 240 and 3 pounds is nothing to me, but I could see it being a problem for some people.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
JHE73

You have received a lot of good advice concerning which model to get. I agree with the suggestions for a 5 inch model if this is your first or only pistol.

Though I do have a differing opinion on the exact model to get. From my experience and observations, the bottom of the line Kimbers provide you with the most bang for the buck (pun intended). I suggest you look at the Classic Custom, Classic Custom Stainless, and the Classic Royal. Spending more money on a Kimber only buys you additional features of machining or cosmetics. Spending more does not get you more care in assembly or higher quality internal parts.

In fact Kimber adjustable sights are noted for breaking, and their night sights are noted for going dark very quickly. Yes Kimber takes care of these issues quickly by replacing the part. But in many cases you need to suffer the hassle of returning the slide, or possibly the pistol to get the problem taken care of.

You will be much better served by getting and shooting the bottom end pistol. This way you will not suffer any of the noted failures and you will have a pistol that is good enough for entry level IDPA matches and carry. Once you can outshoot the pistol, you will have the experience to know what changes you need in a pistol and can select the best one to fit your needs.

I hope this helps.

------------------
Str8_Shot

The best handgun for self defense, is the one you have with you.

·
Registered
625 Posts
1. Finish
2. Sights
3. Options such as safeties, magwells, etc...

Let me make this simple for you. All Kimbers are made from the exact same parts. The bottom of the line has the same barrel as the top-of-the-line Super Match. The diffence is mostly finish, sights, and options like an ambi safety. The Custom shop guns are final hand fit and have a 3.5 lb. trigger and then vary in finish, sights, and options.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Since you wanna carry it I would think that the compact would be more concealable, but if a full size can be carried without a hitch, go with that. Definitely try them out. Went I first went shopping for my 1st 1911, I asked if he had the particular one I was looking at for rent. He said, "yeah, but if you have fired one you have fired them all." He couldn't have been further from the truth. Maybe he refers to them shooting the same, but even that isn't totally true. Made the same? Definitely not.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I personally do not carry since I live in NY and I don't have this right. But what I do know from trying different holsters is that the right holster can even make full size 1911 feel slim with no bulk.

Lou Alessi is very well known for making holsters that can do this.

Here are some threads

Alessi Holster
Some Photos

[This message has been edited by xtreme122 (edited 11-09-2001).]

·
Registered
137 Posts
JHE, I've got a SA loaded SS target model. It is full size, and reliable. Several features I like are the V-12 porting.... greatly reduces muzzle climb and recoil... also makes for quicker acquisition for rapid fire; and the adjustable sights.... low profile enough to carry, yet fully asjustable. This thing always shoots to POA... no excuses or crying about sights needing adjustment.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Wes_Tulsa wrote:
Let me make this simple for you. All Kimbers are made from the exact same parts. The bottom of the line has the same barrel as the top-of-the-line Super Match.
Sorry Wes, but that is flat out wrong.

The Gold Match, Stainless Gold Match, Gold Combat, Gold Combat Stainless, Super Match, Polymer Gold Match & Polymer Gold Match Stainless all have a barrel of stainless steel. The other models have carbon steel barrels, including the Eclipse & CDP guns.

I'm not saying it's better, worse, worth the money, etc. - but they aren't all the same & I thought JHE73 should know that.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts