1911Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some opinions. I have a Kimber SM that I'm thinking of trading for something else. I will be sending a new Colt 1991 A1 SS to EGW for a complete transformation soon and I don't know if I should keep the SM or trade it for another gun or guns. I don't know what to think about the MIM controversy. Part of me wants to keep the SM and gut it and have all tool steel parts put in it. The trouble is the pistol shoots great, feeds great (excluding some semi wad cutter handloads), and gives me no problems. I have only had it since February and I bought it new. I have emailed Dane Burns and he said that if I was a narc and carried the pistol everyday he would replace the internals. Since the pistol is an IDPA gun he would leave it as is and replace whatever breaks when and if it breaks. I wouldn't mind carrying it once in a while however. If I do trade it I'll take a pretty good beating on the trade. I appreciate any opinions that my fellow forum members might have. Thank you in advance.

Shooter Ready?

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
If you can afford to keep a gun that runs great, keep it! Most new guns have MIM parts in them. check around and make sure you're not trading a good gun with MIM parts for two guns with MIM parts. good shooting to you!

·
2,980 Posts
I wouldn't let this MIM hysteria get the best of you. I can't think of wanting much more than this "The trouble is the pistol shoots great, feeds great (excluding some semi wad cutter handloads), and gives me no problems."

I agree with Dane's advice on shooting as is and replacing parts when/IF they break.

·
Banned
217 Posts
My Classic has over 15K rounds through it. When should my MIM parts break?

It would be interesting to see some data that showed whether "tool steel" holds up any better than MIM.

I have a lot of broken tools around the house. I know that any chunk of steel can have a flaw. Unless "tool steel" parts were 100% X-Ray inspected, I don't see how they would be any better.

Some parts, like magazine catches, are going to get beat up. Perhaps competitive shooters can comment on the parts they see breaking?

·
Banned
217 Posts
I just remembered something.

I did have a magazine release break in two on my Kimber Pro Carry after about 10 months. Kimber sent me a new one in the mail.

The part just broke in two and I'm pretty sure it was MIM.

I do slam mags home pretty hard during reloading drills and maybe that has something to do with it.

But it would be interesting to hear from competitive shooters on the durability of MIM parts.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Shooter

As most everyone has suggested keep your Super Match, it is a fine pistol and you will take a beating if you trade it for another pistol.

Concerning the idea of using this pistol for an occasional carry pistol I see no problem with the MIM parts. It will see more wear and abuse from your IDPA shooting than it would from general target practice, and since you want to be competitive you will be keeping the internal components clean and lubed. So keep a close eye on the internal parts, particularly the grip safety, and disconnector, for wear. If you notice excessive wear, replace the part.

The reason I mention the grip safety is, on my Gold Match this became worn (My fault for not having a firm enough grip) and the safety became trigger activated. So watch watch the arm that prevents the trigger from moving if the safety is not fuly depressed.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
dla

It sounds like you are using 8 round magazines, with 8 rounds loaded in them. This combination can cause a mag catch made from good barstock, or tool steel, to break. Plus loading 8 rounds requires you to slam the magazine into the frame to get it to seat. In addition to damaging the mag catch, it can damage the feed lips, the base plate and really hurt your hand, not to mention it can cause failures to feed when the slide does not pull the next round out of the magazine because it moved a fraction of an inch under recoil.

I suggest you go to the magazine folder and read about magazine reliability. Next I suggest you only load seven rounds in your magazines to improve their reliability and longevity.

------------------
Str8_Shot

The best handgun for self defense, is the one you have with you.

·
Banned
217 Posts
You're right, I'm a 8 round man

And I do slam them home. The mag catch on the Pro Carry broke. The mag catch on my Classic has been beaten to death and it's running fine.

Funny, but you are dead right about the base plate of the magazine. I had a CM break appart the other day. This mag had been used pretty hard for a couple of years - 1 of 4. The other three are still running after about 20K rounds.

------------------
Have a great day!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all of the responses guys. I used the SM for my IDPA match yesterday. After I posted that it feeds great of course I had a ftf at the match. The next to the last round got hung up about 3/4 of the way into the chamber. I was using the factory mag which is a McCormick. I think it was either the mag or my cold hand not getting enough grip on the pistol. Ammo was PMC 230gr. hardball. Other than that it was perfect. In defense of the malfunction the pistol only has three to four hundred rounds through it. Needless to say I am going to keep it. I take the pistol completely apart at least once a season for an inspection and a thorough cleaning. I saw the new Heinie fixed sight replacement for the adj. Kimber sight. I am going to have a set of those sights installed on the SM. I originally wanted fixed sights on this pistol but the Kimber Custom Shop said no to my request. So much for "custom".
I would like to have a standard thumb safety installed while it is there. I prefer a standard safety over an ambi for carry purposes. For the matches I could install the ambi and swap the standard safety for carry. Thanks again for your thoughts and comments.

Shooter Ready?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts